German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Chicken Heart Gift questions moved to diet and nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/439073-chicken-heart-gift-questions-moved-diet-nutrition.html)

Twyla 04-16-2014 07:44 AM

Chicken Heart Gift questions moved to diet and nutrition

I've been gifted with a 1-2 lb block of frozen chicken hearts. I have no clue what to do with them LOL

When I first got them, I said something about cutting blocks of them, thawing and adding to meals raw. DH had a complete fit with that (old school belief that raw/blood makes them vicious - not going to change him on that).

My next thought was to cook them - boil, saute, steam? and then dehydrate them to use for training treats. Does anyone know if the hearts would hold together to do this? Is there a better way to handle them?

My next question is - will this stink the house up of better to do this outside?

Mister C 04-16-2014 07:49 AM

Eating raw meat has made me vicious. :rolleyes:

Seriously, smoked chicken hearts were my old dogs absolute favorite reward. I bought them at a farmer's market so I don't have much advice on how to make them.

Twyla 04-16-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister C (Post 5383889)
Eating raw meat has made me vicious. :rolleyes:

Seriously, smoked chicken hearts were my old dogs absolute favorite reward. I bought them at a farmer's market so I don't have much advice on how to make them.

LOL I have to roll my eyes at him when he goes on about raw

Wonder how long it would take to smoke them..something to think about.

carmspack 04-16-2014 10:22 AM

dehydrate them from the RAW state .

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource....s#.U06SP51zbX4

My Rotten Dogs: Homemade Dehydrated Chicken Dog Treats

I have a dehydrator which I use for chicken hearts, gizzards, liver , (same for turkey) , pizzles , trachea , pig skin .

one to two pounds is not a lot , and really is not a lot of finished dehydrated treats . The meat weight is mostly water.

I don't know if you can dehydrate a cooked product because the moisture is already removed.

If this is the only time you are going to dehydrate it is not worth the price to buy a machine . Either borrow one , or use your oven at the lowest setting , 150 F (we are C metric) , and leave for the time (2 to 4 hours) until you have dry hard shrivelly chicken hearts on the tray. Is it worth the electricity charge?

didn't you oops drop them and the dog snarfed them up?

Twyla 04-16-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5384841)
dehydrate them from the RAW state .

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Guest Blog Post: Dehydrating Dog Treats

My Rotten Dogs: Homemade Dehydrated Chicken Dog Treats

I have a dehydrator which I use for chicken hearts, gizzards, liver , (same for turkey) , pizzles , trachea , pig skin .

one to two pounds is not a lot , and really is not a lot of finished dehydrated treats . The meat weight is mostly water.

I don't know if you can dehydrate a cooked product because the moisture is already removed.

If this is the only time you are going to dehydrate it is not worth the price to buy a machine . Either borrow one , or use your oven at the lowest setting , 150 F (we are C metric) , and leave for the time (2 to 4 hours) until you have dry hard shrivelly chicken hearts on the tray. Is it worth the electricity charge?

didn't you oops drop them and the dog snarfed them up?

I have a dehydrator, so that wouldn't be a problem. To answer about drying cooked product, you can. Chicken or beef. I haven't tried turkey.

Yes, the electricity is worth it to find out if these will be as high value for training as I think they will. I am just going to have to work around Mr. Old School

carmspack 04-16-2014 01:02 PM

If I had a cooked product I would keep it in a zip lock in the freezer until needed.

Harry and Lola 04-17-2014 07:53 AM

What a shame you can't give them raw, Lola and Harry love raw chicken hearts - hasn't turned them into killing machines.

Twyla 04-17-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 5390065)
What a shame you can't give them raw, Lola and Harry love raw chicken hearts - hasn't turned them into killing machines.

LOL I shouldn't but can't help laughing at the other half when he comes out with stuff like that. Compromise - I keep reminding myself that. Mr Old School agreed to put down the yank and crank attitude, won't budge on the raw. Even after seeing the hooligans' noses go into overdrive even with the pkg frozen.