Himalayan dog chews? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Himalayan dog chews?

Anyone else get these? Lady at Petsmart told me these were popular and that they are not bad like Rawhides.. what do you think?
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, they are great for my teething puppy. The only issue I have is that they are very expensive. I've tried just about every chew under the sun. Rawhides scare me because dogs will swallow big chunks. Marrow bones are OK but marrow all the time = runny poop and they are weight bearing bones so I worry about cracked and worn teeth. Nylabones are the only other thing I use all the time, but the dogs get bored of them. Kongs entertain my dogs for about the 30 seconds it takes for them to clean them out, then my pit mix shreds them and actually eats the rubber. Antlers are either too soft and get completely eaten in minutes or too hard they go ignored or also risk cracking teeth. I've been using the Himalayan chews for my puppy, now 6 months old. They aren't as good for my adult dog, he just crushes them and eats the pieces. The puppy will chew them for a long time. I give it to him for an hour or so. When there's only a little piece left you can nuke it in the microwave and it will soften like a treat. Even for my puppy I get the biggest ones so they are expensive, hence why I limit his time chewing it (and it also makes him pretty thirsty).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yes, they are great for my teething puppy. The only issue I have is that they are very expensive. I've tried just about every chew under the sun. Rawhides scare me because dogs will swallow big chunks. Marrow bones are OK but marrow all the time = runny poop and they are weight bearing bones so I worry about cracked and worn teeth. Nylabones are the only other thing I use all the time, but the dogs get bored of them. Kongs entertain my dogs for about the 30 seconds it takes for them to clean them out, then my pit mix shreds them and actually eats the rubber. Antlers are either too soft and get completely eaten in minutes or too hard they go ignored or also risk cracking teeth. I've been using the Himalayan chews for my puppy, now 6 months old. They aren't as good for my adult dog, he just crushes them and eats the pieces. The puppy will chew them for a long time. I give it to him for an hour or so. When there's only a little piece left you can nuke it in the microwave and it will soften like a treat. Even for my puppy I get the biggest ones so they are expensive, hence why I limit his time chewing it (and it also makes him pretty thirsty).
Thank you! Do they also sell large ones because in my local petsmart there was only small ones for dogs under about 50lbs and my dog is definitely not under that! lol
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I shop at a local place called Chow Hound and they sell larger ones. They are like the shape of a dollar bill, but bigger. $22 (ouch)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I like them too but I seldom buy them because they're so pricey and my guys tend to make a mess with them (little crumbs all over the carpet -- minor but consistently annoying).
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default We use them all the time

I like to switch up Ollie's chews and we rotate these in every few weeks. I found a 3 pack of the large chews for $25 on amazon. If I can find the link I will post it. They usually last a day or two. Best if he chews on a blanket so the little bits don't make a mess.
Oliver'smom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'smom View Post
I like to switch up Ollie's chews and we rotate these in every few weeks. I found a 3 pack of the large chews for $25 on amazon. If I can find the link I will post it. They usually last a day or two. Best if he chews on a blanket so the little bits don't make a mess.
thanks that would be helpful if you can find it
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

They are good but since they are so hard, they tend to break when dropped. I had one for mine a while back but she was carrying it in her mouth and dropped it on the kitchen tile and the chew broke in half...had to throw it out.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
When there's only a little piece left you can nuke it in the microwave and it will soften like a treat. Even for my puppy I get the biggest ones so they are expensive, hence why I limit his time chewing it (and it also makes him pretty thirsty).
Have you ever tried microwaving it when it is bigger? I bought one awhile back and Dinozzo had no interest in it as I think it is too hard for his taste.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Haven't microwaved one ever so far, I want them hard and lasting as long as possible! It's basically really hard cheese (smells like it too).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.