German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   wellness core large breed formula dry food? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/434225-wellness-core-large-breed-formula-dry-food.html)

dieselpower65 04-05-2014 05:29 PM

wellness core large breed formula dry food?

I have been feeding my gsd royal canin since i got him about 1 1/2 years ago he's almost 2 1/2 now. Just recently royal canin changed there ingredients and brewers rice is the first ingredient, so I'm switching his dog food. I just got him wellness core grain free large breed kibble. Has anyone used this for there gsd and how do they like it? Also what other brands does everyone recommend?

Nigel 04-05-2014 06:43 PM

Have you checked out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor Helpful for making comparisons. I don't use wellness, my dogs weren't thrilled about it, but I think it's one of the better ones. Have you looked at Fromms, Acana, Orijen, or Natures Variety? There are some good products out there, finding one that works for you can be difficult though, lol.

dieselpower65 04-07-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5330641)
Have you checked out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor Helpful for making comparisons. I don't use wellness, my dogs weren't thrilled about it, but I think it's one of the better ones. Have you looked at Fromms, Acana, Orijen, or Natures Variety? There are some good products out there, finding one that works for you can be difficult though, lol.

I have looked on that site and the wellness core was a 5 star. Im just trying to see what other people have had luck with and what they reccomend. I have also looked at fromm, accana, and orijen no one seems to sell those in store though

GrammaD 04-07-2014 03:28 PM

I feed the Wellness Core Original. I see no need to buy the large breed formula. Actually I find it ridiculous to pay more for less. The cost of the large breed is $5-$7 more per bag but the calorie content is around 100 less per cup. I'd rather feed less of the less expensive food :)

I like the food. I've bopped around with a lot of other foods because I used to have a couple of older rescues who were more difficult to feed - but I am quite happy with Wellness Core and the results with my current crew of all young dogs. Unless I switch to feeding raw I don't believe I will change foods again.

dieselpower65 04-07-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammaD (Post 5338993)
I feed the Wellness Core Original. I see no need to buy the large breed formula. Actually I find it ridiculous to pay more for less. The cost of the large breed is $5-$7 more per bag but the calorie content is around 100 less per cup. I'd rather feed less of the less expensive food :)

I like the food. I've bopped around with a lot of other foods because I used to have a couple of older rescues who were more difficult to feed - but I am quite happy with Wellness Core and the results with my current crew of all young dogs. Unless I switch to feeding raw I don't believe I will change foods again.

So far i like the wellness core and so does my gsd he's only been on it for a few days so will see how it goes. The reason that i went with the wellness core large breed was due to the fact that the glucosamine was 750 mg/kg versus the original wellness core was only 250 mg/kg. It honestly might not matter much but i was feeding him royal canin german shepherd formula and that had the 750 glucosamine also so i wanted to stick with that.

DonnaKay 04-07-2014 09:08 PM

My pup is under 6 months, so I've been feeding her the Wellness large breed puppy formula ever since I got her at 7.5 weeks old. Her coat is soft and shiny, she's lean muscled and very active, stools are fine.

I'll be switching to the Wellness large breed instead of the puppy formula after her first heat.

s14roller 04-08-2014 11:55 AM

Wellness Core is a good food :)

LaRen616 04-09-2014 08:22 AM

I feed Wellness Core to my GSD but not the large breed formula one.

I feed my dogs and cats different brands of Wellness.

I have fed Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo/Blue Wilderness and Solid Gold.