German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   A good bone for my puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/430657-good-bone-my-puppy.html)

Stellastrong14 03-28-2014 02:59 PM

A good bone for my puppy?

I have a 11 wk old puppy. I would love to get her a a couple of good bones just to chew on during movie nights to pass the down time. I did buy her a ham bone from a pet store ( smoked) but was told by a couple people not to give her a smoked bone and to get them from a local butcher. So my question is, what do I ask the butcher for and do I give Stella ( puppy ) the bone raw? If so should I be concerned about her getting sick from raw meat? Btw- first time dog owner and maybe overly protective lol.

Shade 03-28-2014 03:24 PM

Ask the butcher for fresh raw marrow bones or knuckle bones. Most will even cut them to specific sizes if asked

Take the bones and freeze them then on movie night take one out and spread out a blanket or sheet and let her have fun! Keeps everything clean and just keep an eye to make sure she's not chewing too hard or damaging the bone.

Whiteshepherds 03-28-2014 03:27 PM

If you can't find the bones you want give her a big whole carrot. There's very little nutritional value because they're raw (they don't digest them) but it gives them something to gnaw on. Great for when they're teething.

wyoung2153 03-28-2014 03:32 PM

Yeah I would stay away from the smoked/cooked bones sold at pet stores.. I have always given Titan raw marrow bones. One time I ignorantly thought "how bad could they (cooked pet store bones) be, i mean they sell them a lot, can't be that bad." He shattered tha tbone.. I mean literally shattered, like glass. I thank God I was watching him because I was able to stop him and get all the pieces. SO needless to say I steer people away from them.

Like Shade said.. get Marrow or knuckle bones.. or even rib bones, we're going to try those, as I heard they are great too. They should sell them all at most grocery stores that have their own butcher.. they are not expensive either.

Many people use antlers too, and we just tried our first Ram horn and it was a hit for a couple weeks. still go back to the arw bones though.

Also, while rancid meat may affect the dog's stomach, good raw meat and bones wont. You should read a little on the B.A.R.F forum.. it's all about a raw diet for their dogs. Pretty interesting stuff.

Stellastrong14 03-29-2014 08:52 PM

So I've been doing lots of research on the raw diet. Do you guys recommend it for a pup??

wyoung2153 03-29-2014 09:54 PM

Yes! :)

Stellastrong14 03-30-2014 10:06 PM

AWSOME thanks for all the help everyone !! :)

SuperG 03-30-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds (Post 5286009)
If you can't find the bones you want give her a big whole carrot. There's very little nutritional value because they're raw (they don't digest them) but it gives them something to gnaw on. Great for when they're teething.

My pooch loves carrots....when the parer comes out and the sound it makes while peeling a carrot....the dog is a guarantee to show up. Plus, feeding a carrot to a dog will let you know how long it takes to go from mouth to lawn.....

SuperG

Wild Wolf 03-30-2014 10:33 PM

Ask for raw beef marrow bones or knuckle bones - always had success with those!

Nixon 04-12-2014 11:50 PM

I've had the best success with antlers. My puppy has the most sensitive stomach and antlers got me through his terrible teething. He's now 2 and still loves chewing the antlers. It keeps his teeth clean and th calcium in the antler is good for dogs. :)