Now my friends think I'm crazy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Now my friends think I'm crazy

Went to dinner with some friends tonight. Sushi, tappanyani place...great food. Anyway on the way home they mentioned that they needed to drop by the grocery to get some stuff for the baby, I tagged along with them. It was a grocery I do not go to as I just don't like the store. I went over to the meat department and saw a sign for Boston Butt, 1.49 a pound. ONE FORTY NINE a pound. I wiped them out. 30 bucks of meat. My friends saw my arms full of this and commented "oh you must like BB". Before I could censor myself I blabbed "oh, it's for the dogs". The look(s) they gave me were shock, awe and a little bit of disgust that I'd "waste" human grade meat on mere dogs.

As we were checking out the wife asked if I fed them the beef to make them mean. It took me a few seconds to parse that question, it was just so...wrong that it vapor-locked my brain. I asked her if my dogs seemed mean, she said no they were lovely(and yes they are). I told her they eat raw meat all the time and if anything it makes them happier animals.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Went to dinner with some friends tonight. Sushi, tappanyani place...great food. Anyway on the way home they mentioned that they needed to drop by the grocery to get some stuff for the baby, I tagged along with them. It was a grocery I do not go to as I just don't like the store. I went over to the meat department and saw a sign for Boston Butt, 1.49 a pound. ONE FORTY NINE a pound. I wiped them out. 30 bucks of meat. My friends saw my arms full of this and commented "oh you must like BB". Before I could censor myself I blabbed "oh, it's for the dogs". The look(s) they gave me were shock, awe and a little bit of disgust that I'd "waste" human grade meat on mere dogs.

As we were checking out the wife asked if I fed them the beef to make them mean. It took me a few seconds to parse that question, it was just so...wrong that it vapor-locked my brain. I asked her if my dogs seemed mean, she said no they were lovely(and yes they are). I told her they eat raw meat all the time and if anything it makes them happier animals.
awe, it's not crazy. The only reason I buy any beef is so the dogs can have some. I personally don't eat it, but my husband shares his with the dogs.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Haha I'm in the same boat - I don't eat meat or even know how to cook it, so people think its funny that the freezer is stuffed with raw all the time

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

All the checkout people at the grocery store think I'm crazy- I am always being asked about my meat purchases- regardless, I don't care as long as my GSD's are happy!!!!!! Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's not crazy. One time my dad was about to use some of the chicken quarters I bought my dog for his own supper as he hadn't gone to the grocery store. I was like "Wait!!! That's the dog's food!!" then I realized it's not only dog food, it's also human food and so I shared. Everyone had chicken that night lol
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL! Nope, I feed raw occasionally and if I see a sale I pick up as much as possible. For Delgado's birthday he and Jazzy got really nice steak for both meals with some ground pork thrown in on top, we happened to be at my parents for dinner that evening and I got a ton of razzing for giving good quality steak to the dogs

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

read up on 'co-sleeping' and 'cry it out' then you can debate something on their baby terms LOL

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

$1.49 a pound is cheaper than most premium dry kibble.

As far as the "you feed them raw meat to make them mean"...I have replied to that..."....so, what you're saying is, if I cook my wife's steak super well done..like a hockey puck..then she'll be nice? ".

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
$1.49 a pound is cheaper than most premium dry kibble.

As far as the "you feed them raw meat to make them mean"...I have replied to that..."....so, what you're saying is, if I cook my wife's steak super well done..like a hockey puck..then she'll be nice? ".

SuperG
I've noticed this "mean" misconception first hand. A friend of my daughter came over with his dog while I was feeding my dogs.

He was surprised to see them eating raw and after I explained it, he wanted to try.

Well when he sat down next to his dog, she growled. The look of shock and horror on his face was something else. "She's never done anything like that" he said.

I explained resource guarding being escalated sometimes with higher value objects and raw meat did not make his dog mean.

Maybe this is where the misconceptions come from if other people experience the same thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

You are not crazy. I've gotten similar stares buying large quantities of meat and big bags of carrots. When my girl decided she would only eat the fresh organic carrots I switched to those. The checkout clerk asked me about the carrots and I had to sheepishly admit that they were for my dog. She just laughed and laughed.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.