German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Now my friends think I'm crazy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/429882-now-my-friends-think-im-crazy.html)

brembo 03-26-2014 09:43 PM

Now my friends think I'm crazy

Went to dinner with some friends tonight. Sushi, tappanyani place...great food. Anyway on the way home they mentioned that they needed to drop by the grocery to get some stuff for the baby, I tagged along with them. It was a grocery I do not go to as I just don't like the store. I went over to the meat department and saw a sign for Boston Butt, 1.49 a pound. ONE FORTY NINE a pound. I wiped them out. 30 bucks of meat. My friends saw my arms full of this and commented "oh you must like BB". Before I could censor myself I blabbed "oh, it's for the dogs". The look(s) they gave me were shock, awe and a little bit of disgust that I'd "waste" human grade meat on mere dogs.

As we were checking out the wife asked if I fed them the beef to make them mean. It took me a few seconds to parse that question, it was just so...wrong that it vapor-locked my brain. I asked her if my dogs seemed mean, she said no they were lovely(and yes they are). I told her they eat raw meat all the time and if anything it makes them happier animals.

trcy 03-26-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 5274986)
Went to dinner with some friends tonight. Sushi, tappanyani place...great food. Anyway on the way home they mentioned that they needed to drop by the grocery to get some stuff for the baby, I tagged along with them. It was a grocery I do not go to as I just don't like the store. I went over to the meat department and saw a sign for Boston Butt, 1.49 a pound. ONE FORTY NINE a pound. I wiped them out. 30 bucks of meat. My friends saw my arms full of this and commented "oh you must like BB". Before I could censor myself I blabbed "oh, it's for the dogs". The look(s) they gave me were shock, awe and a little bit of disgust that I'd "waste" human grade meat on mere dogs.

As we were checking out the wife asked if I fed them the beef to make them mean. It took me a few seconds to parse that question, it was just so...wrong that it vapor-locked my brain. I asked her if my dogs seemed mean, she said no they were lovely(and yes they are). I told her they eat raw meat all the time and if anything it makes them happier animals.

awe, it's not crazy. The only reason I buy any beef is so the dogs can have some. I personally don't eat it, but my husband shares his with the dogs. :)

Eiros 03-26-2014 11:08 PM

Haha I'm in the same boat - I don't eat meat or even know how to cook it, so people think its funny that the freezer is stuffed with raw all the time

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

K9POPPY 03-27-2014 07:49 AM

All the checkout people at the grocery store think I'm crazy- I am always being asked about my meat purchases- regardless, I don't care as long as my GSD's are happy!!!!!! Bob

blackshep 03-27-2014 08:05 AM

It's not crazy. One time my dad was about to use some of the chicken quarters I bought my dog for his own supper as he hadn't gone to the grocery store. I was like "Wait!!! That's the dog's food!!" then I realized it's not only dog food, it's also human food and so I shared. Everyone had chicken that night lol :D

Shade 03-27-2014 08:17 AM

LOL! Nope, I feed raw occasionally and if I see a sale I pick up as much as possible. For Delgado's birthday he and Jazzy got really nice steak for both meals with some ground pork thrown in on top, we happened to be at my parents for dinner that evening and I got a ton of razzing for giving good quality steak to the dogs :p

SunCzarina 03-27-2014 10:15 AM

read up on 'co-sleeping' and 'cry it out' then you can debate something on their baby terms LOL

SuperG 03-27-2014 11:42 AM

$1.49 a pound is cheaper than most premium dry kibble.

As far as the "you feed them raw meat to make them mean"...I have replied to that..."....so, what you're saying is, if I cook my wife's steak super well done..like a hockey puck..then she'll be nice? ".

SuperG

Curtis 03-27-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5277730)
$1.49 a pound is cheaper than most premium dry kibble.

As far as the "you feed them raw meat to make them mean"...I have replied to that..."....so, what you're saying is, if I cook my wife's steak super well done..like a hockey puck..then she'll be nice? ".

SuperG

I've noticed this "mean" misconception first hand. A friend of my daughter came over with his dog while I was feeding my dogs.

He was surprised to see them eating raw and after I explained it, he wanted to try.

Well when he sat down next to his dog, she growled. The look of shock and horror on his face was something else. "She's never done anything like that" he said.

I explained resource guarding being escalated sometimes with higher value objects and raw meat did not make his dog mean.

Maybe this is where the misconceptions come from if other people experience the same thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mister C 03-27-2014 12:37 PM

You are not crazy. I've gotten similar stares buying large quantities of meat and big bags of carrots. When my girl decided she would only eat the fresh organic carrots I switched to those. The checkout clerk asked me about the carrots and I had to sheepishly admit that they were for my dog. She just laughed and laughed.