Dry Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry Food

Jager is currently on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food for Large Breed. He's a huge 115lbs maybe 120lbs at 9 months. He like the blue buffalo a lot, but he also take massive poops. I don't know how much of it is he is just a big dog and its a big dog poo or if he is truly not processing the food as well as he should.
I have used blue buffalo on my other dogs with great success. Is there another brand that is just as good and similar to the blue buffalo that I might consider.
JagerBomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My last dog was over 100lbs and had an 'abundance' of poop. I switched him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredients and it made a noticeable difference and he did very well on it. I'm currently feeding Diamond Naturals Grain Free and I'm really happy with it. Cas has been on it for almost a year and looks wonderful! There are certainly other grain free kibbles that are 'as good', but it's trial and error with some dogs.

5 GSDs at the gate: Katie, Iroc, Red, River, Jake
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have any recent photos of him standing or side shots of him that we can see?

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dry Food-photo.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Do you have any recent photos of him standing or side shots of him that we can see?
This is him sitting next to me on the sofa about a month ago. Im on Army duty for now so this is the most current I have of him.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Our dog is large as well but has minimal droppings due to his raw diet. They also don't stink nearly as much as non-raw. I know raw isn't for everyone, but this is the 1st dog we've tried it with and it's such a HUGE success. Your post about the massive poops just reminded me of this added benefit.
4score is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4score View Post
Our dog is large as well but has minimal droppings due to his raw diet. They also don't stink nearly as much as non-raw. I know raw isn't for everyone, but this is the 1st dog we've tried it with and it's such a HUGE success. Your post about the massive poops just reminded me of this added benefit.
I want to go to raw once I get back home from the Army for good. I also need to work on finding deals on the raw food.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm currently feeding ares iams puppy formula I've always used iams for all my dogs. Seems to be working well
owens91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can you define "massive poop?" Do you mean lots of pieces of waste, large pieces of waste, too soft waste? I don't know how else to put it politely
Hank is on Natural Balance LID (which has mixed reviews around here) and has nice firm stools and I consider them large sized pieces of waste, perhaps 4 to 5 pieces at a time. On previous foods (Origen, Taste of the Wild, Wellness) he had pudding poops. (He is a big dog as well, 27" at the withers and 110 pounds. Sounds like your dog is going to be huge. Hank was 88 pounds at 9 months.)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default less poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerBomb View Post
Jager is currently on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food for Large Breed. He's a huge 115lbs maybe 120lbs at 9 months. He like the blue buffalo a lot, but he also take massive poops. I don't know how much of it is he is just a big dog and its a big dog poo or if he is truly not processing the food as well as he should.
I have used blue buffalo on my other dogs with great success. Is there another brand that is just as good and similar to the blue buffalo that I might consider.
Science Diet is the answer
badco8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fromm.. Orijen.... Taste of the wild.. Honest kitchen... Some of the best brands out there IMO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.