German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Dry Food (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/428330-dry-food.html)

JagerBomb 03-23-2014 02:10 PM

Dry Food

Jager is currently on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food for Large Breed. He's a huge 115lbs maybe 120lbs at 9 months. He like the blue buffalo a lot, but he also take massive poops. I don't know how much of it is he is just a big dog and its a big dog poo or if he is truly not processing the food as well as he should.
I have used blue buffalo on my other dogs with great success. Is there another brand that is just as good and similar to the blue buffalo that I might consider.

Soundguy 03-23-2014 03:09 PM

My last dog was over 100lbs and had an 'abundance' of poop. I switched him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredients and it made a noticeable difference and he did very well on it. I'm currently feeding Diamond Naturals Grain Free and I'm really happy with it. Cas has been on it for almost a year and looks wonderful! There are certainly other grain free kibbles that are 'as good', but it's trial and error with some dogs.

LaRen616 03-24-2014 08:55 AM

Do you have any recent photos of him standing or side shots of him that we can see?

JagerBomb 03-24-2014 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 193882
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5257706)
Do you have any recent photos of him standing or side shots of him that we can see?

This is him sitting next to me on the sofa about a month ago. Im on Army duty for now so this is the most current I have of him.

4score 03-24-2014 05:11 PM

Our dog is large as well but has minimal droppings due to his raw diet. They also don't stink nearly as much as non-raw. I know raw isn't for everyone, but this is the 1st dog we've tried it with and it's such a HUGE success. Your post about the massive poops just reminded me of this added benefit.

JagerBomb 03-24-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4score (Post 5260162)
Our dog is large as well but has minimal droppings due to his raw diet. They also don't stink nearly as much as non-raw. I know raw isn't for everyone, but this is the 1st dog we've tried it with and it's such a HUGE success. Your post about the massive poops just reminded me of this added benefit.

I want to go to raw once I get back home from the Army for good. I also need to work on finding deals on the raw food.

owens91 03-24-2014 08:12 PM

I'm currently feeding ares iams puppy formula I've always used iams for all my dogs. Seems to be working well

HankGSD 03-24-2014 08:34 PM

Can you define "massive poop?" Do you mean lots of pieces of waste, large pieces of waste, too soft waste? I don't know how else to put it politely :)
Hank is on Natural Balance LID (which has mixed reviews around here) and has nice firm stools and I consider them large sized pieces of waste, perhaps 4 to 5 pieces at a time. On previous foods (Origen, Taste of the Wild, Wellness) he had pudding poops. (He is a big dog as well, 27" at the withers and 110 pounds. Sounds like your dog is going to be huge. Hank was 88 pounds at 9 months.)

badco8 03-24-2014 08:51 PM

less poop

Quote:

Originally Posted by JagerBomb (Post 5252778)
Jager is currently on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food for Large Breed. He's a huge 115lbs maybe 120lbs at 9 months. He like the blue buffalo a lot, but he also take massive poops. I don't know how much of it is he is just a big dog and its a big dog poo or if he is truly not processing the food as well as he should.
I have used blue buffalo on my other dogs with great success. Is there another brand that is just as good and similar to the blue buffalo that I might consider.

Science Diet is the answer

Thewretched 03-24-2014 08:53 PM

Fromm.. Orijen.... Taste of the wild.. Honest kitchen... Some of the best brands out there IMO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App