German Shepherds Forum banner

Dry Food

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  nezaam 
#1 ·
Jager is currently on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food for Large Breed. He's a huge 115lbs maybe 120lbs at 9 months. He like the blue buffalo a lot, but he also take massive poops. I don't know how much of it is he is just a big dog and its a big dog poo or if he is truly not processing the food as well as he should.
I have used blue buffalo on my other dogs with great success. Is there another brand that is just as good and similar to the blue buffalo that I might consider.

#2 ·
My last dog was over 100lbs and had an 'abundance' of poop. I switched him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredients and it made a noticeable difference and he did very well on it. I'm currently feeding Diamond Naturals Grain Free and I'm really happy with it. Cas has been on it for almost a year and looks wonderful! There are certainly other grain free kibbles that are 'as good', but it's trial and error with some dogs.

#5 ·
Our dog is large as well but has minimal droppings due to his raw diet. They also don't stink nearly as much as non-raw. I know raw isn't for everyone, but this is the 1st dog we've tried it with and it's such a HUGE success. Your post about the massive poops just reminded me of this added benefit.

#8 ·
Can you define "massive poop?" Do you mean lots of pieces of waste, large pieces of waste, too soft waste? I don't know how else to put it politely :)
Hank is on Natural Balance LID (which has mixed reviews around here) and has nice firm stools and I consider them large sized pieces of waste, perhaps 4 to 5 pieces at a time. On previous foods (Origen, Taste of the Wild, Wellness) he had pudding poops. (He is a big dog as well, 27" at the withers and 110 pounds. Sounds like your dog is going to be huge. Hank was 88 pounds at 9 months.)

#13 ·
By massive, there is just a lot. Its healthy as far as not to soft not to hard. Everything is being digested well. It just looks huge to me.
From past experiences I know good quality food and a healthy dog means less poop.
I know everyone has their opinions about food and its also trail and error too. Im open to any options.

#14 ·
If his poops are well formed and he is not straining to go, it sounds like he may just be predisposed to large poops :) From experience, I would say if you have a food working for you then stick with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#15 ·
Science Diet is not a good kibble, I would not feed that.

You want a kibble with less fillers and more meat.

Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Evo, etc. Those are all higher quality kibbles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.