German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   NuriScan Results...Sigh (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/427818-nuriscan-results-sigh.html)

Springbrz 03-21-2014 11:17 PM

NuriScan Results...Sigh

This is mostly a vent:

I got Ziva's NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test result's tonight. At this moment, I feel like feeding her for the rest of her life is going to be such a daunting task.:( I know in time it will get easier.

I suspected problems with pork and chicken very early on. After trying Orijen 6 fish I suspected a problem with whitefish.

Being she is raw feed a diet of mostly beef, venison and occasional turkey and goat and lamb, I give her salmon oil for omega 3's. (she doesn't like sardines anymore). Well she is sensitive to Salmon so that is out. Are sardines considered a white fish? Turkey and Venison are now out as well.

We have always given Ziva peanut butter in her kong and I use it to get her to take her heartworm pills. I hide her benedryl (for severe itchy days) in peanut butter so she will take them without a fight. Well don't I feel dumb now. Her most severe sensitivity is to peanuts. :eek:

After seeing all the things she can't or shouldn't have I don't feel I can continue to fed raw and keep her diet balanced and healthy. :( Makes me sad.

The worst part is she won't touch kibble anymore. I have know idea how I'm going to get her to eat LID kibble. She use to eat NV Instinct LID Lamb before we went to raw. But, she wasn't thrilled with it. She is such a picky eater (no wonder, everything makes her feel yucky).

Any advise on kibble or a way to continue RAW and still have a complete balanced diet that is still affordable is always appreciated.

Sorry for the big pics of the results. Couldn't figure out how to get the PDF file small enough to just link to it.

Here's her test results:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-test-pg1.jpg
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-test-pg2.jpg

Kaimeju 03-21-2014 11:33 PM

I am not that familiar with how the Nutriscan test works, but I am curious as to how the results are interpreted. When I had a human allergy test (which I realize is different from a dietary sensitivity), I turned out to be sensitive to a lot of things I had no idea were problematic. But they didn't cause symptoms. It was explained to me that there really were only a few allergens I needed to avoid. The chart at the bottom of her results says that a weak reaction means "clinical significance unclear." To me that would indicate that she may not experience symptoms at all when being fed those foods, and they would seem to be good candidates to introduce after an elimination diet.

I see that duck, lamb, and beef seem to be okay. Is your vet recommending an elimination diet now? You could ostensibly do that with one of those proteins. They make supplements for balancing a single protein diet (haven't tried them, but they exist). Also it seems unlikely to me that she would develop a severe imbalance on a temporary elimination diet.

I hope this is some encouragement. I am not an expert about any of this stuff, but I find myself going to the doctor and the vet's office an awful lot so I can sympathize!

Springbrz 03-22-2014 12:00 AM

We did an elimination diet for several weeks before we switched back to raw. That is when we fed Nature's Varity Instinct LID Lamb. She did fairly well on it, the itching decreased a lot. But she didn't eat well.
I'm not so concerned about all the grain food stuffs as we would choose grain free anyway. She will miss her popcorn with daddy, though.
I can't afford much lamb on raw. And she won't touch raw quail and I'm not sure she would eat raw duck if I could get it and afford it.
NV does have lamb and duck LID formulas so maybe I could keep her interested if I rotate them. That is if I can get her to eat kibble again.
She is just so picky. Some of the proteins she won't touch are also ones she is sensitive to anyway.
Oddly enough she loves chicken. Chicken just doesn't like her.
I fed her right before I got the results. Of course I fed her venison and turkey. Poor girl quite itchy...

I just got the results tonight by email, so we haven't talked to the vet yet. it's just frustrating at the moment.

wyoung2153 03-22-2014 12:13 AM

No advice on raw.. but we just got Titan's allergy panel back.. fortunately for us it's not a many allergens as yours, BUT unfortunately it is enough that it has been near impossible for me to find a food that is clear of his 7 avoidable allergens. We also didn't do this inteense of a test.. only tested 20 ingredients. Anyways.. check this food out..
Open Sky Grain Free ALS Dinner | Canine Caviar | Holistic Dog Food and it's not shown on there, but i believe if you ask for the Free Range Buffalo, they have it in kibble too.

Also, if that's not up your alley, check out Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diets. I am currently feeding the duck version. I believe duck was a weak reaction right?

Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Duck | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

I know how frustrating it is looking for new food.. I hope those help.

wyoung2153 03-22-2014 12:15 AM

Sorry posted while you were posting apparently. Canine Caviar, I had never heard of until I went to by NV Instinct and the store owner brought me her catalog. It is very interesting to read about the company and where they came from too.. seems like very good quality.

Springbrz 03-22-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5246722)
No advice on raw.. but we just got Titan's allergy panel back.. fortunately for us it's not a many allergens as yours, BUT unfortunately it is enough that it has been near impossible for me to find a food that is clear of his 7 avoidable allergens. We also didn't do this inteense of a test.. only tested 20 ingredients. Anyways.. check this food out..
Open Sky Grain Free ALS Dinner | Canine Caviar | Holistic Dog Food and it's not shown on there, but i believe if you ask for the Free Range Buffalo, they have it in kibble too.

Also, if that's not up your alley, check out Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diets. I am currently feeding the duck version. I believe duck was a weak reaction right?

Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Duck | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

I know how frustrating it is looking for new food.. I hope those help.

Thanks for the link. Going to go check out the canine caviar site.

wyoung2153 03-22-2014 12:25 AM

I really hope you find something there.. maybe even calling and talking to them about it. They might have something that's not advertised either.

shepherdmom 03-22-2014 12:31 AM

No advise on the food but I did want to say I've had the blood allergy testing on myself and I find that when I'm in an outbreak (I get hives) that I test allergic to just about everything. But when I'm not in an outbreak (remission) I do not test allergic to very many things. For me when my immune system is in hyper-drive it effects those tests. Just something to keep in mind. When you have her system calmed down you might test her again and see if the test comes out the same.

Springbrz 03-22-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5246810)
No advise on the food but I did want to say I've had the blood allergy testing on myself and I find that when I'm in an outbreak (I get hives) that I test allergic to just about everything. But when I'm not in an outbreak (remission) I do not test allergic to very many things. For me when my immune system is in hyper-drive it effects those tests. Just something to keep in mind. When you have her system calmed down you might test her again and see if the test comes out the same.

Thanks for the advise. I myself have food intolerance's. Namely, gluten. I also have several auto-immune diseases, so I totally get the immune system in overdrive scenario. Dr. Dodds did recommend retesting in
6-12 mo.
I can only hope as time goes by that more protein sources become approved. I was just taken aback at the peanut butter reaction. Who'd of thunck it. Not surprised by any of the grain reactions. Dogs aren't really meant to eat grain anyway.
I just feel bad for my poor pup. She is already a very picky eater. I guess I should be happy her favorite treats are Merrick's lamb and beef lung treats. Both approved proteins.

shepherdmom 03-22-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbrz (Post 5246858)
Thanks for the advise. I myself have food intolerance's. Namely, gluten. I also have several auto-immune diseases, so I totally get the immune system in overdrive scenario. Dr. Dodds did recommend retesting in
6-12 mo.

Yes I have several auto-immune diseases too. It sucks. :(

If you do re-test down the road, please post the results. It would be interesting to see if they are the same.