German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Garlic... all these years... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/427186-garlic-all-these-years.html)

wyoung2153 03-20-2014 09:54 PM

Garlic... all these years...

SO.. all my adult, dog-owning, life... I have thought and read that Garlic is bad for dogs.. actually that is was toxic.

I have been doing SOOO much research on foods and diets since getting Titan's food allergy panel back. I came across one, Canine Caviar, that uses garlic cloves in their food. When I talked with the owner of the dog bakery I buy Titan's food from, she said actually makes a garlic based treat for healthy heart. I also came home and did my research and found MANY mixed reviews on the subject. One interesting thing that I came across was that in parts of Europe they actually give cloves of garlic as flea and tick deterrent.

Just wondering what people have to say regarding this.. curious on thoughts..

shepherdmom 03-20-2014 09:57 PM

My thought is that, if it might be harmful why take the risk?

jocoyn 03-20-2014 09:59 PM

You may want to search this forum for springtime garlic a lot of us give that to our dogs for flea control and if you go to the springtime garlic web page you will find studies that show that does it have to eat a lot of garlic in order to get sick

wyoung2153 03-20-2014 10:02 PM

Shepherdmom-Well all the research I have done is that it's excessive amounts is what is harmful. I forget the chemical that's in the onion family that is what's toxic in large amounts. But I also assume (not safely) that if this food company, Canine Caviar, who is known for it's holistic, great quality food, and made for dogs with cancer, puts it their food, it must be safe..

Jocoyn-I will do that!! I''m very intrigued.

my boy diesel 03-20-2014 10:03 PM

if you researched you would see it can destroy red blood cells
the lethal or toxic dose is unknown
you cannot see the damage it does so people tend to think it is harmless
in flea or tick areas with severe infestations i do not think garlic is enough either

wyoung2153 03-20-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5238938)
if you researched you would see it can destroy red blood cells
the lethal or toxic dose is unknown
you cannot see the damage it does so people tend to think it is harmless
in flea or tick areas with severe infestations i do not think garlic is enough either

Yes.. thank you. I understand that. my apologies for not going into detail on what exactly i read while researching, trying to save text space I suppose figuring people could google on their own... But since you did apparently research.. there is research done on amount actually broken down to weight of dog.. I'll have to try to find that one.. On the side of it being good.. that research specifically goes into the amount of chemical in onions vs Garlic which is almost untraceable in garlic.. but does state that over feeding, like anything is going to be harmful for your dog, but that the right amount is actually healthy and goes into different places to buy some including vet offices.

jocoyn 03-20-2014 10:29 PM

Too much of a lot of things is bad for you.
The articles on the Springtime page are from peer reviewed journals.
I did my research and do annual blood panels

This was a thread I started last year. A lot of discussion on research and personal experience. I should be doing blood panels again in late April/early May

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-journey.html

Anecdotally, I was very impressed. I live in tick central. For reference we trained in a teammates wooded area. His dog has a scalibor collar. He pulls off 4-5 ticks a day. My dog had a thorough tick check that night, then for 2 days after. No ticks. He did pick up a few along the summer. Four total. Last summer was a bad tick year, FWIW.

The main issue I saw was soft stools, so I am backing up this year.
Obvoiusly it is a tough but a lot of things are tough choices. I am not convinced these flea and tick chemicals are safe for our dogs either.

wyoung2153 03-20-2014 10:33 PM

Thanks for posting that link. I did find a couple posts that talks about garlic for dogs when I searched.. clearly I need to work on my search technique... ha. But I did not see that one.

SunCzarina 03-20-2014 10:54 PM

Most of the lists we've all memorized off the internet just give the plant names. Vague things to watch out for at best.

Rarely do any of them go into specifics as to how a plant is toxic. Toxic can mean as little as the dog will have an upset stomach or toxic toxic get to the vet.

Nobody can memorize things like 'Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested.' So that's 3 oz for every 10lbs of dog and my dog weighs 70lbs. i.e. chocolate is toxic but my dogs could eat the wholesale club size bag and not be affected. While it would kill the 10lb dog up the street.

Venus ate a bulb of garlic, I didn't even see her steal it but she started spitting up bile and I could smell it. Could see the garlic sleeve wrapper whatever they're called. I made her throw up everything in her stomach- she's no stranger to that. The only thing I did wrong was gave her an egg afterwards on a friend's advice. The egg came up. She's fine.

Harry and Lola 03-21-2014 01:40 AM

I'm with you wyoung, it is very confusing and there are equal views on the pros and cons.

I used to feed garlic, but stopped because I was told it was poisonous, I didn't noticed any problems though.

I have just started feeding them 1/2 clove each 3 times a week for general health, flea and tick prevention. I don't know if this is enough for parasite protection or if it is too much and may affect their red blood cells - I just don't know.

At the end of the day I have decided to feed garlic because both Harry and Lola must have compromised immune systems due to their thyroid and EPI issues, so I am reluctant to keep giving them high quantities of chemicals such as Advantix and worm medication, I am trying to keep their immunity healthy and minimise chemical intake. At this stage, I plan to also use diaomaceous earth for parasite protection and also as an all wormer, so the only chemical I will have to feed them is Heartguard Plus to control heartworm.

One question for anyone - DOES THE USA HAVE PARALYSIS TICKS?