German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Aging supplements? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/424258-aging-supplements.html)

meldy 03-14-2014 12:00 PM

Aging supplements?

Rottie board is a bust thus far so Im posting this here even though its a Rottie question....

New dog to me. 5 yrs old. Rottweiler. Overweight but losing it fast. Currently eating SD large breed kibble but I am going to switch her over to raw as soon as this bag is mostly gone.

She's got some front end soreness happening when she first wakes up in the morning. Left front leg. I think it's her foot (I suspect her pads just from being on pavement all of the sudden after 5 yrs of a sedentary life) But she doesn't seem to react at all to poking and prodding and I cant actually find anything wrong. Im fairly sure Ive just over-done her exercise so she's getting a few days off but it's also got me thinking about joint supplements for aging and such.

Glucosamine etc. Since Raw doesn't come with any built in vitamins and supplements (Ive never fed raw before!) is it prudent, given her age, to start adding joint supplements and such?

Does anyone think they help?

carmspack 03-14-2014 12:35 PM

any time you have rapid loss of weight , and soreness on a limb , especially with some breeds in a high risk category, which Rottweilers are you should go to the vet and rule out cancer, bone cancer .
get your bill of health and then add the supplements

meldy 03-14-2014 12:46 PM

Oh her weight loss isn't that rapid...Not in a worrying sickness way. She has a bit of a flank now instead of looking like a sausage. That's all.

I would like to make sure it's not exercise related before I jump to cancer as that seems a bit extreme given that she is now exercising for the first time in her life. It seems much more likely that movement is the cause of any soreness than a prolonged sickness.

I spoke with her old owner this morning. She did not wake up sore with them that they noticed so this is a new development.

Even assuming it's exercise related my question a long term one rather than fixing her now. I think now all she needs is a bit of a break. And maybe I need to find some grass to walk on rather than country roads for a bit til she toughens up.

Mary Beth 03-14-2014 09:32 PM

I think also it is best to first have the vet check her over to rule out any possible disease or a medical issue for the soreness.

GatorBytes 03-14-2014 10:47 PM

1 in 4 Rotties (I believe) are prone to osteosarcoma. especially if altered at early age (under 2 yrs.).

Of course, extensive exercise on overweight dog who has had sedentary life will do it too. Could be both.

Rotties are prone to obesity too, likely thyroid related. Going raw asap, low fat, kelp for thyroid.

And when checked out...please do not allow vet to put on NSAID or steroid "just because"...ask what has to be done to rule out bone cancer...do that first before all else

JeanKBBMMMAAN 03-15-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 5203226)
1 in 4 Rotties (I believe) are prone to osteosarcoma. especially if altered at early age (under 2 yrs.).

Of course, extensive exercise on overweight dog who has had sedentary life will do it too. Could be both.

Rotties are prone to obesity too, likely thyroid related. Going raw asap, low fat, kelp for thyroid.

And when checked out...please do not allow vet to put on NSAID or steroid "just because"...ask what has to be done to rule out bone cancer...do that first before all else

Not under 2 years...
Quote:

Comment from breeder, January 2009
A study on increased risk of osteosarcoma in Pediatric s/n of dogs - this study focused on rottweilers, because that breed has a sky high rate of osteo, but since doggie DNA is the same, we could conclude that the rate of increased risk, but not the actual rate of occurrence would be the same.

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/11/11/1434

Response from Dr Tracy Land
This often misquoted study has absolutely nothing to do with pediatric spay/neuter, as their test group was spayed or neutered at less than one year. Pediatric spay neuter is now considered prior to four months, with the standard age moving rapidly from six months to four. So this study in no way can be applied to any pediatric discussion, only to spayed versus intact. My conclusion from this study, and other data from elsewhere is this - spayed & neutered Rotties live longer, therefore are going to show a higher incidence of most "old age" causes of death, which includes cancers of various types. Intact Rotties have shorter than their regular short life spans due to mammary cancer and sadly euthanasia due to aggression problems (thanks to poor breeding practices in my opinion, they were consistently big teddy bears before they became popular and widely bred by folks with no clue what they were/are doing).
Tracy Land, DVM

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/PedSpayNeuter.htm
Anyway, OP - being exercised while overweight puts more stress on every part of your body - so get her weight down and work on slowly easing her into any activity. In particular, don't do any activities where she needs to move quickly, change direction, be agile in any way - frisbee, ball chasing, those kind of things - you are looking at muscles that need to be worked slowly.

So - I would take any new dog in to the vet for a wellness check. You are looking at a breed with elbow issues: Rottweiler | Canine Inherited Disorders Database | University of Prince Edward Island Sometimes animals gain weight because moving hurts.

It's a new dog - that's why taking it slow will give you an idea of her baselines - activity, behavior, etc. From there you can figure out what she might need.

I'd be looking for either a sports or PT vet in my area with the idea that they could work with me to design a safe, healthy exercise program for her, probably incorporating the use of an underwater treadmill. http://westernvet.ca/wp-content/uplo...ehab_final.pdf

I use Springtime supplements for my dogs - they are all on them, regardless of age. For the younger they get the regular joint and the fresh factors, the older ones get Longevity (if they will eat it!).

But - step back from the exercise until you can see someone about her general condition. Good luck - she's a pretty girl for the breed!