German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Food allergy results.. help with foods/brands.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/423426-food-allergy-results-help-foods-brands.html)

wyoung2153 03-12-2014 06:35 PM

Food allergy results.. help with foods/brands..

So we got Titan's food allergy panel back. He is very allergic to rice and turkey and moderately allergic to eggs, venison, and salmon... might explain the itching since he's on Fromm: Surf and Turf.. which is essentially salmon and chicken. Anyways, no reaction to beef, lamb, chicken, etc.

I have been researching more foods.. who the heck knew that egg and turkey are super popular ingredients in foods. lol.. that and rice..

I am trying to stick with a grain free diet if possible. None of the Fromm's work.. which is a bummer, I love the brand.

Right now I am looking at Diamond Beef and Sweet Potato and Blue Basics lamb and Potato..

Grain Free Beef & Sweet Potato Dog Food

BLUE Basics Grain Free Large Breed Lamb dog food, a limited ingredient diet

Suggestions and recommendation are very welcome :)

LoveEcho 03-12-2014 06:55 PM

I had really good luck with the TOTW wild boar formula (LID)- Echo's allergic to turkey, venison, and salmon as well. Luckily eggs are not a problem.

There's a brand that sells kibble with kangaroo as the primary meat source, supposedly created specifically for allergy-prone dogs... can't think of what it is now, but I've been tempted to try it.

Heidigsd 03-12-2014 07:13 PM

Here is a good company, they have kangaroo, turkey & rabbit kibble: Maintenance Diets

Nigel 03-12-2014 07:25 PM

Instinct Healthy, Natural Kibble Products for Dogs | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

Natural Dog Food, Cat Food and Puppy Food for Pets With Food Sensitivity ? California Natural

We had to look for some minus chicken, yeast, carrots, beets, rice, etc... The NV instinct lid was one of the few that fit the bill. Hope you find something that will work.

wyoung2153 03-12-2014 09:55 PM

I think I know which brand you're talking about with the kangaroo.. I jist forget the name. I will definitely take a look at these other foods.. I was getting stumped with different brands.. fromm, bb, solid gold and diamond were the only ones I could think of. Thank you guys!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 03-12-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5189210)
I think I know which brand you're talking about with the kangaroo.. I jist forget the name. I will definitely take a look at these other foods.. I was getting stumped with different brands.. fromm, bb, solid gold and diamond were the only ones I could think of. Thank you guys!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

In addition to the link Heidigsd posted, California natural has kangaroo too.

wyoung2153 03-13-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5189362)
In addition to the link Heidigsd posted, California natural has kangaroo too.

Yes! That was the one I was thinking of.. i knew California was in there somewhere! haha. It's just a bummer because he is so picky.. I finally found a food he LOVES.. and it has Salmon in it.. no bueno. But the search continues apparently :)

Thank you guys again.

LoveDogs 03-13-2014 11:46 AM

Avoderm Red meat and Potato meal does not contain the allergens listed and Wysong Epigen 90 does not either. But sheesh what a tough list of allergens!

wyoung2153 03-13-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDogs (Post 5191642)
Avoderm Red meat and Potato meal does not contain the allergens listed and Wysong Epigen 90 does not either. But sheesh what a tough list of allergens!

Awesome, I'll add those to my list to look at! Thank you!

And you're telling me! When the vet called and gave me the results, I thought, "Great!" I really didn't know how many of those are super common in most foods! We're currently feeding Fromm and I love the brand so I thought I would jsut be able to switch.. but they all seem to have egg.. Rice and/or Turkey of some sort, and salmon something. I literally can't feed one of theirs :( time to get creative!

LoveDogs 03-13-2014 12:06 PM

The turkey/egg thing bothers me... all Fowl animals weren\'t considered allergens? The ingredient Lecithin is a potential source of egg and you may need to contact the maker to see if it is egg based.