German Shepherds Forum banner

Food allergy results.. help with foods/brands..

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  DHau 
#1 ·
So we got Titan's food allergy panel back. He is very allergic to rice and turkey and moderately allergic to eggs, venison, and salmon... might explain the itching since he's on Fromm: Surf and Turf.. which is essentially salmon and chicken. Anyways, no reaction to beef, lamb, chicken, etc.

I have been researching more foods.. who the heck knew that egg and turkey are super popular ingredients in foods. lol.. that and rice..

I am trying to stick with a grain free diet if possible. None of the Fromm's work.. which is a bummer, I love the brand.

Right now I am looking at Diamond Beef and Sweet Potato and Blue Basics lamb and Potato..

Grain Free Beef & Sweet Potato Dog Food

BLUE Basics Grain Free Large Breed Lamb dog food, a limited ingredient diet

Suggestions and recommendation are very welcome :)

#2 ·
I had really good luck with the TOTW wild boar formula (LID)- Echo's allergic to turkey, venison, and salmon as well. Luckily eggs are not a problem.

There's a brand that sells kibble with kangaroo as the primary meat source, supposedly created specifically for allergy-prone dogs... can't think of what it is now, but I've been tempted to try it.

#5 ·
I think I know which brand you're talking about with the kangaroo.. I jist forget the name. I will definitely take a look at these other foods.. I was getting stumped with different brands.. fromm, bb, solid gold and diamond were the only ones I could think of. Thank you guys!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Avoderm Red meat and Potato meal does not contain the allergens listed and Wysong Epigen 90 does not either. But sheesh what a tough list of allergens!
Awesome, I'll add those to my list to look at! Thank you!

And you're telling me! When the vet called and gave me the results, I thought, "Great!" I really didn't know how many of those are super common in most foods! We're currently feeding Fromm and I love the brand so I thought I would jsut be able to switch.. but they all seem to have egg.. Rice and/or Turkey of some sort, and salmon something. I literally can't feed one of theirs :( time to get creative!

#10 ·
The turkey/egg thing bothers me... all Fowl animals weren't considered allergens? The ingredient Lecithin is a potential source of egg and you may need to contact the maker to see if it is egg based.

#11 ·
I will get the results printed next week. The vet just told me the findings. So basically the rates go from 1-6. 6 Being the highest. They consider anything above 2 to be considered a good enough allergy to eliminate from the diet and anything 4 and above is considered a very high allergy. Turkey was 3+and Rice was 4+. The rest were 2+. He tested at a 0 for Chicken, duck, beef and lamb.

#12 ·
Ok so these are the couple I think I am leaning towards.. can I get people's opinoins on these ones..

Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Duck | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Rabbit | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

Natural Dog Food, Cat Food and Puppy Food for Pets With Food Sensitivity ? California Natural

Natural Dog Food, Cat Food and Puppy Food for Pets With Food Sensitivity ? California Natural

If I fed Instinct.. they have raw diets too, would it work if I gave him the kibble int he morning and then the raw at night? How would I portion that out anyways??

#13 ·
We use the NV turkey or turkey/duck combo (?) And it did help Zoey, our allergy dog. We fed BB chicken grain free originally, but it had to go based on her allergies.

Recently we tried switching her to Earthborne and her scratching started to increase again, so she's back on the NV. Between the NV, ocassional baths, & coconut oil, we can keep her itching to a minimum.

#15 ·
No we haven't tried that yet, we do add raw to suppliment their diet though.

What was more noticeable to us was taking her off NV in our failed attempt to switch to Earthborne than when we first started using nv. We were jumping around from steroids for a short bit, then Atopica for a few months after that. Instead of taking one step at a time, we panicked a bit and took more of a shotgun approach. :(

#18 ·
Mostly beef, we have a "reasonable" source for it ($ wise), but its random. We have some bison too, but we are just about out. We got that when my wife bought her car last year. Turns out the dealership owner has a ranch and he gave us quite a bit, some for humans and some for the dogs, lol! We would like to try honest kitchen, at least in part, but feeding three gsds might get too expensive.

I know reading all those dog food labels is a pita, hopefully you'll find something that'll work well.

#17 ·
My pup has some food allergies. I feed raw so I was introducing a variety of meats to my puppy and she got itchiness, watery eyes, licked her feet a lot, and had a slight hair loss only under her eyes. I thought demodex right off the bat. After a skin scraping the vet said it's allergies. Turned out to be dairy, beef, and pork. Most common food allergies to dogs. After I stopped giving her those meats/dairy and gave her some raw honey (suppose to be good for allergies) it cleared up right away.

#19 ·
I cannot recommend a brand of food, but can sympathize because my dog has allergies to a variety of ingredients that are commonly found in the majority of no grain kibble. My dog is eating venison and peas by PureVita I think. They make other combinations as well. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.