German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you add supplements to your dog's food?

8K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  Hineni7 
#1 ·
Do you give your dog/s supplements?

What kind of supplements do you give?

#34 ·
Eggshell membranes? I haven't heard of this! Just the membrane? Is it a supplement that you purchase, or do you just peel the eggs? And what's the benefit? I give Jedda soft boiled eggs, and usually the membrane comes off with the shell, but am I taking away a beneficial part of the egg? Thanks!

#36 ·
I think I originally read about eggshell membranes on this board and then did some additional research. Since Rafi gets a raw egg every day and since I eat 4 or 5 eggs a week I save the shells and then peel out the membranes. You can buy them too. They really help Rafi with his joint issues.

I would guess that the eggs should not be cooked though.

#35 ·
Otto's a big boy and he's put on some weight that's got to come off so I just put him on Glucosamine - 750 a day which I don't think is enough but I want to make sure it agrees with his sometimes iffy stomach.

Olive oil for dry skin and shiny coat - but not on the food, I cook vegetables for us in it and let the dogs lick the pan clean. Probably 3 tablespoons a week per dog.

Venus also gets cucumbers and carrots for her anal glands, she's got trouble expressing herself if she doesn't eat a lot of roughage.

#37 ·
@ kjdyerer:
Eggshell Membrane Study:
Efficacy & Safety Study of Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) for the Treatment of Joint & Connective Tissue Disorders - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov Eggshell membrane: a possible new natural ... [Clin Interv Aging. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Conclusions: Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM®) is a possible new effective and safe therapeutic option for the treatment of pain and inflexibility associated with joint and connective tissue (JCT) disorders. Supplementation with NEM®, 500 mg taken once daily, significantly reduced pain, both rapidly (seven days) and continuously (30 days). It also showed clinically meaningful results from a brief responder analysis, demonstrating that significant proportions of treated patients may be helped considerably from NEM® supplementation. The Clinical Trial Registration numbers for these trials are: NCT00750230 and NCT00750854.

130 caps $49.00: Eggshell Membrane 500 mg (NEM®) 120 Vegetarian Capsules by Healthy Origins

@ mego:

Digestive Enzymes/Pro-Biotic Combinations: Human Grade Ingredients:

Sunday Sundae:
Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement

Digest All Plus: The Wholistic Pet

Moms:)

#42 ·
Hi I'm a new puppy owner and was looking for opinions on how im feeding my 6.5 month female GSD weighing 54lbs. I feed her a cup of acana duck and pear and a couple scoops of green tripe (Tripett) in the morning. Throughout the day she usually chews on raw knuckle bones and bully sticks. Then in evening she will eat another cup of acana with scoops of tripe. Her coat is shiny, breath is fine and she is in good shape. Any opinions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.