German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Might have to change dog food - suggestions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/412714-might-have-change-dog-food-suggestions.html)

EJQ 02-18-2014 08:44 AM

Might have to change dog food - suggestions

The feed store recently informed me that their distributor would no longer be supplying them with Royal Canin and that I should consider the switch to a new food.
I have a choice - switch to a new food OR travel the 38 mile round trip to the nearest Petsmart. I'm older than dirt; have had dogs most of my life. I think I've tried all of so called "top brands" and each carried it's own set of problems.

I've been feeding Royal Canin for many years and have encountered absolutely no problems - that goes for baby, puppy and adult.

After reading claims and reviews until my head aches I'm beginning to think that the trip to Petsmart might not be that bad.

I'd like to hear of your experience with some other brands.

Note to you newbies: even us old timers need help once in a while.
:)

Okin 02-18-2014 08:45 AM

I really like Fromm. One thing I noticed about Fromm, at least where I purchase it, is the expiration dates tend to be very far in the future. So if you go that route you could buy a few bags at a time to cut down on the travel time.

jocoyn 02-18-2014 08:53 AM

I went to mail order. Chewy.com

We are actually going to try a switch back to Fromm. The Nature's Logic has been good blood panel wise, but it is hard to keep enough weight on him. It seems 30/20 is a nice working composition. I wanted a higher protein than the Fromm once he got older but he is not a bulk up kind of dog. The company has a great QA program and solid reputation.

LaRen616 02-18-2014 08:53 AM

I have fed Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness, Solid Gold Wolf King and my dogs are currently on Taste of the Wild.

I have had good results with them all. I think my favorite was the Wellness Core though, I would love to feed that to my dogs but right now it's just too expensive for me.

shepherdmom 02-18-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJQ (Post 5042394)
The feed store recently informed me that their distributor would no longer be supplying them with Royal Canin and that I should consider the switch to a new food.
I have a choice - switch to a new food OR travel the 38 mile round trip to the nearest Petsmart. I'm older than dirt; have had dogs most of my life. I think I've tried all of so called "top brands" and each carried it's own set of problems.

I've been feeding Royal Canin for many years and have encountered absolutely no problems - that goes for baby, puppy and adult.

After reading claims and reviews until my head aches I'm beginning to think that the trip to Petsmart might not be that bad.

I'd like to hear of your experience with some other brands.

Note to you newbies: even us old timers need help once in a while.

I'm almost as old as dirt. LOL and I gave up. After trying my puppy on 3 different grain free foods and having nothing but pudding poo I went back to the tried and true Science Diet. Works for me. LOL

Eiros 02-18-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5042466)
I went to mail order. Chewy.com

Me too... Even if I can find what I feed, it's a bigger issue for me to carry a 30lb bag to and from my car haha. I'd rather have it delivered to my house, and go to my local stores for treats, toys, and accessories.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

_Zero_ 02-18-2014 12:02 PM

I'd also recommend you look into ordering online. I've had good results using both Chewy.com and Wag.com, and it looks like both sites carry Royal Canin. If your purchase is more than $49 at either site, they'll ship you the food for free, so you could order a couple bags at a time and get them delivered to your door. That way you wouldn't have to make the trip and you wouldn't have to change foods.

EJQ 02-18-2014 12:53 PM

Thanks for all of the advice so far - the online route is starting to look very good! I did that back in the day when Pets.com was around.

EJQ 02-18-2014 09:47 PM

Well, I took my lead rom Jocoyn and Zero and checked out Chewy.com.
Quite impressive! First off the Royal Canin is $15.00 LESS than at the feed store!! I put together an order that includes some small items that I use routinely. Over $49.00 - free shipping every three weeks - win - win!!
:):)

Doc 02-18-2014 10:10 PM

Well I'm older than God's dog and think the online route is the way to go. Too darn many foods to choose from stick with the one that works for you and your dog.
Doggiefood.com - Dog, Cat, & Pet Food, Treats, Food & Supplies - Free Shipping is a good online company too.