German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   I need the best Food to feed my Girl ?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/409546-i-need-best-food-feed-my-girl.html)

JenniGSD 02-11-2014 12:10 AM

I need the best Food to feed my Girl ??

Hello Guys,

I am from India, my GSD girl is about 6 months old, I am feeding her 4 timea a day, This is her diet

Morning and Evening - Royal Canin Max Junior
Afternoon and Night - Rice + chicken liver + curd

In India RC is the best dog food available, She don't like RC much, I need to put chicken gravy or some thing different only then she will have her RC. On doing online research I found RC is not the best one. They have started introducing Solid gold food in my place, Can I feed that brand to my girl? If so which flavour would be good. I don't have any idea on that. Can you guys please help me on that. I need the best food for my girl. Currently she is losing her weight :confused:

Other than solid gold is there any other good food available to feed her? Please let me know your suggestion .

PS : she is allergic to sea foods :(

Thanks

sechattin 02-11-2014 12:15 AM

Solid Gold is definitely a better food than RC. As for the best flavor, I would check the ingredients list of the different formulas to see exactly what meats are in them, especially if she is allergic to fish. Also, at six months she doesn't need to be eating four times a day. By six months, my pups are eating twice a day. Just make sure she doesn't do any strenuous exercise for about an hour before or after she eats a meal or you raise the risk of bloat.

JenniGSD 02-11-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sechattin (Post 5002290)
Solid Gold is definitely a better food than RC. As for the best flavor, I would check the ingredients list of the different formulas to see exactly what meats are in them, especially if she is allergic to fish.

Thank you so much friend :) Since she didnt like RC, I am bit afraid whether she will like solid gold or not.

BTW are you feeding solid gold for your dogs?

sechattin 02-11-2014 12:31 AM

I'm feeding a combo of Orijen and raw for my dogs. I just didn't suggest the Orijen because I'm in America so I'm not sure what brands you have available to you. Sometimes taste can be a choice. I've had all kinds over the years, some didn't care if it was food or trash as long as it was edible while other had a particular brand they enjoyed. For general info about different brands Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor is a good place to go.
How is her stool? I was wondering how much liver she gets in her other meal because I know for a fact too much liver can cause runny stool and an upset stomach which can make a puppy less likely to eat as much.

JenniGSD 02-11-2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sechattin (Post 5002346)
I'm feeding a combo of Orijen and raw for my dogs. I just didn't suggest the Orijen because I'm in America so I'm not sure what brands you have available to you. Sometimes taste can be a choice. I've had all kinds over the years, some didn't care if it was food or trash as long as it was edible while other had a particular brand they enjoyed. For general info about different brands Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor is a good place to go.
How is her stool? I was wondering how much liver she gets in her other meal because I know for a fact too much liver can cause runny stool and an upset stomach which can make a puppy less likely to eat as much.

Orijen is not available in my place. Her stool was perfectly fine, no issues. Here the climate is changing bit hot, donno whether its affecting her.

She is my 1st pet. Can you also suggest any good shampoo, I have used hug and wag, since the smell was not good I changed to Procott, But the hair was shedding alot during her last bath, Is that normal? or Due I have to change the shampoo?

PS: Thanks for the site Sure I will check it now :)

Mocha 02-11-2014 12:54 AM

I would use an oatmeal shampoo, they work best for their sensitive skin. Many brands make them, or you can even make your own homemade :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

JenniGSD 02-11-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocha (Post 5002410)
I would use an oatmeal shampoo, they work best for their sensitive skin. Many brands make them, or you can even make your own homemade :)

Thank You :) How to find whether she is allergic to procott shampoo? Is there anyway to find it?

Mocha 02-11-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenniGSD (Post 5002434)
Thank You :) How to find whether she is allergic to procott shampoo? Is there anyway to find it?

You could always try a small portion of it on a not-so sensitive area and wait for a little to test it, if all works out slowly do more until you're sure. It really depends on the reactions she is prone to, whether they're mild or severe ya know.

JenniGSD 02-11-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocha (Post 5002442)
You could always try a small portion of it on a not-so sensitive area and wait for a little to test it, if all works out slowly do more until you're sure. It really depends on the reactions she is prone to, whether they're mild or severe ya know.

Oh Thank you.

sechattin 02-11-2014 01:09 AM

As Mocha said, an oatmeal shampoo is great. For a puppy, I'd make sure to have a puppy formula because it will be gentle and more importantly tearless. German Shepherds are nicknamed German "Shedders" for a reason, they're always going to throw off a lot of hair. That being said, it can be minimized with a good oatmeal shampoo (I also like to use a conditioner when possible), a high quality food, an omega fatty acid supplement (one from a plant source like flax in your case), and a good brushing every few days. In a hot climate, she's going to throw off a lot more hair than usual. I get it all the time in Texas. I've heard many different explanations and I'm not sure what's true and what's rumor, but I do know that all of my dogs tend to shed much more heavily when they are living in a consistently hot climate.
Also know that shepherds will "blow" their coats or lose pretty much all of their undercoat at certain points. Puppies will blow their puppy coat when their adult coat starts coming in, and as adults they'll blow their undercoat once or twice a year. So if she suddenly starts shedding really heavily for a couple weeks, don't worry! She is most likely just blowing her coat.