Just thinking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Just thinking

Piggybacking on my longevity thread, am I the only one that remembers how dogs were fed way back when and how long they lived?

Remember my parents mixing table scraps of all kind and supplementing with cornbread. They had Dobies, Boxers, and various other mutts. Think they went to vet once a year for rabies vaccination.

Not advocating the above lifestyle, but, these dogs all lived long healthy lives.

Thoughts?

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

My parents did the same; both my childhood dogs were fed Pedigree then Beneful. They only went to the vet for vaccines (except for when my parents paid for ACL surgery/bone spur removal on both knees for Baby when she was about 12 - she was a GSD/husky mix that lived to be 17 - and had one knee surgery for Lucky - GSD/who know what else mix that lived to 15). I like to call my mom Snow White and/or the Animal Whisperer; I've never seen an animal not flock to her and love her and every pet she's ever had lived ridiculously long. She had 2 separate cats that lived to be over 20 years old, were partially outdoor cats, were fed Alpo and Meow Mix and never went to the vet.
katro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

In the late 70's we got a dog that was Newfie/Shepherd/hound mix. He went 125 lbs. on s slim day. He ate and was fed everything. He ate corn flake and milk for breakfast most morning. He was fed coffee and donuts on my stepfathers construction sites. He ate lunch meat and all forms of table scraps (onions and garlic and all). On weekends he got bacon and eggs or pancakes and sausage with the family. He was feed what ever dog food that was popular back then (prob Purina dog chow).
He survived Parvo (our vets first case). It was a very severe case but, the vet pulled him through.
My mom bathed him with her human shampoo and conditioner (it really made him so soft).

With the exception of the puppy parvo he never had health issues. He never needed his teeth cleaned. He got soup bones often. He only went to the vet to get his rabies shot or if he had an injury.

By todays standards that dog was poorly fed. He should of had all sorts of health issues related to his supposed poor diet.

Sam lived to 17 years.
Springbrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first dog was fed "old Blue" a feed store brand dog food that probably was worse than old Roy. She lived to be 13. My boys were fed Science Diet most of their lives. Science Diet was supposedly the best back then. Buddy is 12. Lost Shadow at 9 to DM.

Oh look just did a search they still have it. http://oldbluepetfood.com/products/o...-food-nuggets/

Last edited by shepherdmom; 02-07-2014 at 10:46 AM.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My nephews grandpa on his fathers side fed his hunting dogs ol roy, they ate ol roy and exercised hard everyday, cindy and i forgot the others ones names lived to 17 years old.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My family's GSD/Husky mix lived a long healthy life and died at the age of 14.5. She was never on supplements and she ate cheap, low quality kibble.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Same story here, my first gsd/elkhound mix lived to 14.5, ate Purina, black lab/big boned 110 pounds lived to 13.5...ate the Purina or whatever was on sale...
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Personally I think that the cheap kibble from back then was much better quality than the cheap kibble of today.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

My grandparents mostly fed scraps to the dogs, including raw eggs. A lot of fatty cuts of meat, bread, vegetable scraps. My mom says they went through one bag of Ol Roy in the winter, when the dogs needed to eat more to stay warm. I can't remember how long these dogs lived but my childhood dogs were out of Lady and Chance, and those dogs had to have been at least 13 when they died. My dogs Shadow and Cinders only lived to be 10 and 11, I think. Both fed Eukanuba their whole lives, both died of cancer. Shadow had allergies.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Good thread and interesting points. I also raised this in another thread that someone was asking a question. I still buy dog food for my girl based on the ingredients I read, but half the time wonder if itís mostly marketing that has us thinking this way. Honestly, I think that sometimes we forget that there is a lot more research and data that goes in what is appropriate nutrition for our dogs vs. what we can read off a label. The prime cuts of chicken, etc., may be appetizing for us, but may or may not be the most effective for the dogís system.

Thereís another thing I wanted to point out...we often knock the big name companies bc they may use byproducts, etc., yet few of us really look into what makes that list. I personally think of beaks, feet, skin, etc., when in reality when I took a look at whatís acceptable, itís things like liver, hearts, etc. The things that wild animals would go to first due to higher nutritional value. We also forget the brand equity a larger company has in that they have a lot more to lose if they mess up. With all that said, Iíll be the first to admit buying Acana and Orijen makes me feel goodÖIím just not 100% sure if Iím doing my dog any good vs. other products. I donít buy items with byproducts because of the conception that goes with it, but I think Iíll be digging into it more in the future.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.