German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   "Kibble" picky (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/407202-kibble-picky.html)

Thesilentone 02-05-2014 07:35 PM

"Kibble" picky

I've been having this issue with getting my dog to eat his kibble when given from day one. I was told not to cater to his finickiness by mixing in canned food or anything extra because he'll come to rely on it every time in order to get what he wants. I have tried that for a while only to discover that he gets sick and throws up bile from not having anything in his stomach. So I've been mixing in about a tbsp. of canned food lately only once a day instead of twice but now he's been only eating some of it and leaving the rest when I do this. He doesn't have problems with any other food, just the kibble I feed him and I've tried more than one already.

Should I stop doing this so he can learn to eat when his bowl is down or find something else like chicken or beef broth to mix in the first meal(I feed 2x a day) so he doesn't make himself sick?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what else to do.

Loneforce 02-05-2014 07:43 PM

What kind of kibble? Maybe he doesn't like it. The first thing I test is when the new food comes in, I try and see if the dog will eat a few pieces dry. Let him smell the bag and see if he keeps going back to it. It took many small bags of kibble to find what Jonas likes. He loves Merrick beef grain free. I was starting to worry until I finally found one. It seemed he didn't like anything LOL.

Thesilentone 02-05-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneforce (Post 4972738)
What kind of kibble? Maybe he doesn't like it. The first thing I test is when the new food comes in, I try and see if the dog will eat a few pieces dry. Let him smell the bag and see if he keeps going back to it. It took many small bags of kibble to find what Jonas likes. He loves Merrick beef grain free. I was starting to worry until I finally found one. It seemed he didn't like anything LOL.

Right now both dogs are on Beef Meal & Rice Diamond Naturals and plan to stay on that brand due to costs. I've tried the Chicken Meal & Rice, Lamb Meal & Rice and Extreme Athlete formulas as well but couldn't notice a difference. I've tried TOTW and then I've had to feed the commercial ones and he reacted the same way to it. Before I decided to even buy Diamond Naturals or TOTW, I tried the samples with them a few times ahead of time to make sure they ate them and they did so I didn't think much of it.

Loneforce 02-05-2014 08:50 PM

Have you tried just adding water to the kibble, stir it up to make gravy, and let set for about 10 minutes; then feed? You say both dogs. Does the other dog eat this with no problem? You might just have a really finicky dog and only likes topped with canned food. A lot of people top their food to feed their dogs. A lot will say just set bowl down for 10 - 15 minutes and if he don't eat it remove food till next feeding "if he is hungry he will eat" I have tried this method myself and like you I didn't want my dog getting sick. "maybe try feeding at different times. Early in the morning, a little bit at lunch, then late in the evening. You will have to see what clicks with the problem dog.

Thesilentone 02-05-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneforce (Post 4973218)
Have you tried just adding water to the kibble, stir it up to make gravy, and let set for about 10 minutes; then feed? You say both dogs. Does the other dog eat this with no problem? You might just have a really finicky dog and only likes topped with canned food. A lot of people top their food to feed their dogs. A lot will say just set bowl down for 10 - 15 minutes and if he don't eat it remove food till next feeding "if he is hungry he will eat" I have tried this method myself and like you I didn't want my dog getting sick. "maybe try feeding at different times. Early in the morning, a little bit at lunch, then late in the evening. You will have to see what clicks with the problem dog.

The other dog is fine with what I give her. No I have not tried just plain water mixed in but I will give that a try also. I heard that shepherds are just commonly finicky breeds and guessing this is a problem for most.

ladyb 02-05-2014 09:32 PM

My 15 month old is super picky..probably in part to her owner😆. I choose to top most of her kibble, even then I have to be creative. Always a good quality kibble, though the one time recently that she ate her kibble dry was a so-so rated kibble. She is currently turning up her nose at BB! Here are some things I frequently top with: canned food, leftover meats, rice, scrambled egg, even some veggies! She's pretty active, so sometimes I crate her and put her food in there, it seems to take away some of the distractions and many times she will then eat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 02-05-2014 11:01 PM

i top my dog's kibble most of the time with a large
variety of things. i switch his kibble often. i have
a variety of can food that i top his kibble with.

maybe your dog doesn't like the brand of kibble
you're feeding. switch brands.

Fezzik von barry 03-10-2014 08:38 AM

My 10 wk old will not eat anything more than a couple bites for the past few days maybe even a week now.. He just had his latest vet visit and got the all good cept that he could be heavier, ie needs to eat. When we picked him up we were giving TOTW with him and he was still picky with that so we grad switched to Blue Buf Wilderness. Liked it for a few days then stopped. Now we just got Merrick GF beef and forget about that. We've done the whole parm cheese, chicken broth, warmed it, etc. I really do not want to have to buy can food to get him to eat. I'm at lose. If he doesn't eat within 15 min I pick it up. But then next meal still barely nothing:confused:

Zlata 03-10-2014 10:27 AM

I had this fight with our GSD. Horrible, horrible... WHAT a picky eater. We tried multiple brands of food, watering the kibble (which can destroy the integrity of the nutrients, I hear, so be careful doing that), adding chicken broth to the kibble, mixing in parmesan cheese, bacon, wet cat food... You name it. We also tried 'tough love' where we sat down the bowl, let him have it for 10 minutes, and picked up what remained. He once went 4 days without touching his food! :cry:

The game changer for us was Tripett. It's a horrid, revolting, disgusting smelling thing (canned tripe!) but it's natural and doesn't contain any ingredients that irritate his yeast infections (which he gets often enough to be annoying.) A dollop of it mixed into his kibble has him gobbling down the whole bowl.

Meal time should not be a battle!

Galathiel 03-10-2014 10:46 AM

Adding water to dry food destroys the integrity of the nutrients? Interesting. I'd like to read more on that if you have a link. :)