German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Please review my dog, is he skinny (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/406802-please-review-my-dog-he-skinny.html)

Rajat 02-05-2014 03:06 AM

Please review my dog, is he skinny

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I am from India. My GSD is a 1 year old Dog. He stands at 65cm(around 25.5inches). My problem is his weight. At 1 year he weighs only 26kg(57lbs). He is very agile though, and excercised daily for around an hour, mostly playing fetch or chasing other dogs. I think it will be great if he can attain around 30kgs. Please guide what should I do. Though he is a picky eater... :help:

I feed him-

BREAKFAST: 1egg, 1 cup yoghurt, 3-4 biscuits
LUNCH: Chicken, Rice, Beaphar MultiVitamin
DINNER: Same as Lunch

Now, thing is i don't feed him dog food at all. Used to give him Hill's Sceince diet when he was yound but didn't do so well. Best brands available in India(and under by budget) are Farmina's Natural&Delicious low grain, NutraGoldHolistic, Taste of Wild(Though I learnt about their recall)

P.S. - I am an Indian(Hindu) so don't refer beef or pork can't feed him those :p

blehmannwa 02-05-2014 03:57 AM

I think that he looks fine.

Harry and Lola 02-05-2014 05:31 AM

He looks good, although it is hard to tell. 26kg for a 1yo is light, you would probably want him around 32kg. Although it is good to grow your pup slowly and he still has a bit of 'filling out' to do which should finish by about 3yo.

If it were me, I would fatten him up slightly and aim for 30kg. You could try adding Taste of the Wild dry kibble to his breakfast and dinner meals. Add 1 1/2 cups to each meal (total 3 cups for the day) and mix in with the egg/yoghurt and chicken/rice. Add some water and let it soak for about 15 minutes as this releases the oils from the dry kibble and makes it more palatable.

Otherwise, if he won't eat the dry kibble mixed in with your other food, you could increase the chicken or replace with a fattier meat such as lamb or goat etc.

Oisin's Aoire 02-05-2014 09:35 AM

Is he getting any organs from the chicken? Is it raw or cooked? There are 2 good sections here for raw( BARF) and home cooked meals. Just let them know you can't do beef or pork .

MaggieRoseLee 02-05-2014 09:44 AM

I also think he looks great...

If they get the recall off the Taste of the Wild, and there is a blend you can use you can just add a bit of that to what you are already feeding.

RubyTuesday 02-05-2014 01:11 PM

He looks very good. Some dogs (& lucky dogs at that) are naturally lean. IF he's healthy don't worry about his weight. Adding on weight just to reach some arbitrary look or number is monumentally foolish. IF he has health issues such as metabolic disorders, illness, parasites or pain correct the undelying issue & the weight will take care of itself.

Rajat 02-05-2014 01:54 PM

@Harry and Lola: I am aiming for 30 as well. As of now I started Farmina's N&D low grain (the only best substitute i got for Taste of the Wild). Also I will be replacing Chicken with Goat/lamb meat. Hoping to get good results.

@Oisin's Aoire: I get the whole chicken(poultry from a trusted butcher) so it surely contains all the organ meat, plus i add some lung meat from lamb. I mostly give it boiled(as I live in Delhi can't really trust raw feed).

hunterisgreat 02-05-2014 02:03 PM

don't aim for a number. aim to put the right weight on whatever his frame is

looks fine now.

mydogs 02-05-2014 02:39 PM

He looks great to me too but yes I would add some kibble to his food so his meals are more balanced. Pretty dog

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Harry and Lola 02-05-2014 03:47 PM

Good idea to steam or boil the meat (but only if there are no bones) if you can't trust the meat in India.

I'm not familiar with Farmina's N&D low grain, however low grain sounds good to me.:)