German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Coconut Oil (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/405386-coconut-oil.html)

Harry and Lola 02-02-2014 05:38 AM

Coconut Oil

Does any one add coconut oil to their dogs food?

I am interested as I have only just recently discovered this and am impressed with the benefits of virgin coconut oil, apparently can assist with:-

- yeast infections
- smelly coats
- hot spots
- infected cuts
- cracked paws
- potentially reduce cancer risks
- improves digestion (great for EPI dogs)
- thyroid can be kept normal
- glossy coat and healthy skin
- treatment of yeasts and fungal infections
- minimizing arthritis pain
- balancing metabolism rate (weight control)
- prevention of parasitic infestations (giardia)

Seems like a wonder oil, I have purchased some virgin coconut oil and can't wait to try it on my Lola and Harry.

MyHans-someBoy 02-02-2014 06:46 AM

Hans went through a period where he was taking a couple of steps and then scratching at his rib area. He did this over and over. Also, had a slight rash on his belly.

I started him on coconut oil and after about 2 weeks, all of this resolved.

I just present it as a treat and he is excited and eats it right off of the spoon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thesilentone 02-02-2014 07:01 AM

Tried to but my dogs didn't really take to it so I've since stopped giving it to them. I got the Nutiva brand and it's just sitting in one of my cabinets at the moment. It's also expensive too. Supposedly people can benefit from the same things as dogs can.

AmyOle 02-02-2014 09:01 AM

We use it in our kitchen as a substitute for butter and other oils, so I didn't hesitate to start Kolachi on a dollop a day. She loves it- her coat is soft and we've had no skin/ health issues.
If you happen to have a Trader Joe's in the area, I've found they have the best price by FAR! $6.99 for a jar that is priced at at least double other places... (And it's organic, if that matters to you!).

llombardo 02-02-2014 09:23 AM

I'm glad this came up. Yesterday I was at the health food store and I see that they have this is soft gels. Can the dogs have it that way or no?

carmspack 02-02-2014 09:25 AM

I was adding coconut oil so far back that I had to defend its use - people would say are you crazy , dogs are not monkeys.
Now coconut oil is a hot trend , and the buyer has to know that there are all sorts of quality of oil available .
The oil I use has unrefined fish , hemp and coconut all together.

Momto2GSDs 02-02-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4950210)
I'm glad this came up. Yesterday I was at the health food store and I see that they have this is soft gels. Can the dogs have it that way or no?

They can but you'd have to give quite a few per day (can't remember the amount) to equal what you'd give of the "jar" variety. ;)

Harry&Lola: Make sure it says No GMO's and NO Hexane, Raw, Cold Pressed, Unrefined.
Introduce slowly. You can give approximately 1 teaspoon per 10/20 pounds.

Moms:)

Nigel 02-02-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy (Post 4949850)
Hans went through a period where he was taking a couple of steps and then scratching at his rib area. He did this over and over. Also, had a slight rash on his belly.

I started him on coconut oil and after about 2 weeks, all of this resolved.

I just present it as a treat and he is excited and eats it right off of the spoon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Our situation was similar. Zoey was a "scratcher", put her on the Nutiva CO and pretty much cleared it up. Great for their coat so we give it to all three dogs, they too will take it off the spoon.

RiverDan 02-02-2014 11:50 AM

Been using it for months now. Both our dogs have very soft coats. Never had any skin issues.
We use a virgin, cold pressed oil. It's at Costco for $17. Last a little of a month.
Good stuff.

Springbrz 02-02-2014 12:01 PM

I was using it as well. That is until my fussy eater decided it wasn't for her anymore. Sigh!
It's to bad because it helped her skin and immune system so much. Now she won't touch it.