German Shepherds Forum banner

Coconut Oil

6K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
Does any one add coconut oil to their dogs food?

I am interested as I have only just recently discovered this and am impressed with the benefits of virgin coconut oil, apparently can assist with:-

- yeast infections
- smelly coats
- hot spots
- infected cuts
- cracked paws
- potentially reduce cancer risks
- improves digestion (great for EPI dogs)
- thyroid can be kept normal
- glossy coat and healthy skin
- treatment of yeasts and fungal infections
- minimizing arthritis pain
- balancing metabolism rate (weight control)
- prevention of parasitic infestations (giardia)

Seems like a wonder oil, I have purchased some virgin coconut oil and can't wait to try it on my Lola and Harry.

See less See more
#3 ·
Tried to but my dogs didn't really take to it so I've since stopped giving it to them. I got the Nutiva brand and it's just sitting in one of my cabinets at the moment. It's also expensive too. Supposedly people can benefit from the same things as dogs can.

#4 ·
We use it in our kitchen as a substitute for butter and other oils, so I didn't hesitate to start Kolachi on a dollop a day. She loves it- her coat is soft and we've had no skin/ health issues.
If you happen to have a Trader Joe's in the area, I've found they have the best price by FAR! $6.99 for a jar that is priced at at least double other places... (And it's organic, if that matters to you!).

#5 ·
I'm glad this came up. Yesterday I was at the health food store and I see that they have this is soft gels. Can the dogs have it that way or no?

#7 ·
They can but you'd have to give quite a few per day (can't remember the amount) to equal what you'd give of the "jar" variety. ;)

Harry&Lola: Make sure it says No GMO's and NO Hexane, Raw, Cold Pressed, Unrefined.
Introduce slowly. You can give approximately 1 teaspoon per 10/20 pounds.

Moms:)

#6 ·
I was adding coconut oil so far back that I had to defend its use - people would say are you crazy , dogs are not monkeys.
Now coconut oil is a hot trend , and the buyer has to know that there are all sorts of quality of oil available .
The oil I use has unrefined fish , hemp and coconut all together.

#33 ·
Monkeys take coconut oil?:crazy:

I've been giving my dogs (2 gsd, 1 mal) coconut oil. They love it and have soft shiny coats. They seem to love it as they keep licking their food bowls even after they've consumed their food. I have not encountered any problems with it.

#17 ·
What is the differences between virgin unrefined and refined organic? I only found the refined organic at Target but I see Walmart has the unrefined virgin. I purchased the refined organic because I didn't know which route to go. Can I still use the stuff I got and get results for her itchy skin? Abby wasn't sure about the taste at first but then she gobbled up a few teaspoons.

#20 ·
I do. It cleared up Ralphie's yeasty ear in a couple of weeks. I still give it mixed in with his food for maintenance. Plus, it makes his fur nice and soft (or luxurious as my husband says)!

#21 ·
Sigh! Raina is allergic to coconut so no coconut oil or palm oil for her. Her itching gets out of control. She used to love chewing on the coconuts - it was good for her teeth too - and when she got down to the coconut itself she was in love. Pyrate always loved them and had no allergies.

#28 ·
I give my girl coconut oil but this intrigued me. Your dog just had a whole coconut?

#23 ·
Make sure when you introduce coconut oil to start small and work your way up to the full amount. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties and giving them the full dose right away can cause loose stools/diarrhea. Start with a tsp each twice daily and go from there. If they seem to tolerate it well you can increase from there.

#25 ·
I know Sage would rather eat a chunk of it, than have me melt it and mix it in her food. She's a weird girl.

#30 ·
I wish Lara could play with a coconut lol

She loves it in her food. I just scoop a few spoonfuls into it in the morning. I get the jar at Trader Joes. She smells so wonderful and she's soft. When I cuddle with her she makes the perfect soft pillow :)

#31 ·
I bought some yesterday and gave them each 1/4 teaspoon, so far so good and can't wait to see the benefits (I am now realising how much they actually scratch themselves)

I got Niugini organic virgin coconut oil, comes from Papua New Guinea and is unrefined, unbleached and not deodorised.

It is not solid, it is a clear liquid but I suspect this has something to do with our temperature at the moment. Does it go solid in the cooler weather if in the fridge?

#32 ·
I feed Athena some of the Trader Joe's coconut oil for the first time last night. I put it on top of her normal meal. At first she looked at it like "what is this crap??". Then she tried it and ended up licking her bowl for five minutes after all her food was gone. I guess she likes it!

#36 ·
I mix up coconut oil(that has been liquified) local honey, peanut butter and yogurt and then freeze it in ice cube trays. My dogs get a cube every few days with their raw meal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.