German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Does anyone know of a kibble of better quality than Orijen? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/405362-does-anyone-know-kibble-better-quality-than-orijen.html)

Maybelle 02-02-2014 01:20 AM

Does anyone know of a kibble of better quality than Orijen?

My question is the title. Does anyone know of a kibble of better quality than Orijen?

Dry Dog Food | Orijen

Also, Acana dog foods are a more affordable sister-brand to Orijen. They are both made by Champion Petfoods. Acana is a little cheaper ($60 for 28.6 lb as opposed to $71, if ordered online) because it has a slightly lower % of protein, a slightly higher % of carbohydrates (with the inclusion of oats and potato), and less variety of meat (Arcana has 3 meat sources, where Orijen has a minimum of 6 depending on the formula and as many as 16).

Both companies follow the same "Biologically Appropriate" philosophy, which includes regional ingredients from good sources, and making the kibble from fresh (never frozen) ingredients.

ACANA PET FOODS | Acana

Backround:

I'm a single young man. My current dog, Maybelle, is my first dog. She's my pride and joy, the apple of my eye. So naturally, I want to spoil her(health wise, not behaviorally! we are currently seeing a trainer). I make decent money, so being single, I don't have many expenses. I've been feeding her Acana and Orijen kibble, because it's the best stuff that I can find. Eventually, I intend to start making my own raw food. I imagine myself making it once a week or month, vacuum sealing daily portions and freezing them. But for the time being I'm busy, low on freezer space, and maybe a little lazy, so she's still on kibble.

Any feedback would be appreciated! I'm pretty happy with Orijen but I was curious if there's a superior kibble out there.

boomer11 02-02-2014 02:20 AM

something better than orijen is canned food. it isnt heated to extreme temperatures so it retains its moisture. i feed ziwipeaks sometimes. look at the ingredients. quality stuff.

then next to that would of course be the packaged premade raw. both cost a lot of money to feed imo.

when i do feed orijen i supplement with ziwipeaks. my dog sometimes isnt excited to eat orijen but will gobble it up without coming up for air if i supplement with a can of ziwipeak.

sniper and marley 02-02-2014 02:23 PM

Orijen Is the highest quality kibble out there. That's what I was feeding both my German shepherds which, became real costly what I'm feeding now is merrick. Merrick is made in Texas and is comparable to Origen because of the high protein. Both merrick and orijen are at 38% crude protein. Merrick also has a lot more flavors to choose from like pork, buffalo, duck, beef and chicken. Merrick has a non grain free and grain free to choose from. Merrick is half the cost of orijen depending on where you get it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Momto2GSDs 02-02-2014 05:42 PM

You could also serve up some raw (or slightly cooked) meals along with the other suggestions! Steve Browns Homemade Dinner Mix is added to your own ground meat. Pretty simple: Measure - Mix - Stir - Feed! See Spot Live Longer™ Homemade Dinner Mixes | Product Catalog
Info: Healthy Dog Food Dinner Mixes
"When mixed according to directions, See Spot Live Longer™ Homemade Dinner Mixes are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for adults and for all life stages."
"Ingredients: dried spinach, ground flax seed, dicalcium phosphate, oyster shell powder, dried spirulina algae, psyllium husk powder, organic dried kelp, sea salt, inulin, chelated minerals (iron, zinc, manganese and copper amino acid chelates), vitamin E, choline chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, vitamin B12."

"See Spot Live Longer™ Homemade Dinner Mixes blended with fresh lean meats (lightly cooked or raw) make the most nutritious and delicious meals you can serve your dogs. It's easy. Just add 2 tablespoons (4 for puppies) of our special mix to one pound of fresh beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb, and add a can of sardines or fish oils weekly."
You can use grocery store ground chuck (plain "hamburger" usually has way too much fat in it), Jennie O ground turkey, and Perdue ground chicken to change it up! Everyone agrees to disagree on amounts of raw food fed. Some feed 2% some up to to 6% of their body weight. You can find a calculator here: Calculate
If you choose to cook the meat, you can put meat into boiling water for a minute or two and then rinse thoroughly to remove grease (dogs cannot digest cooked grease).
Might be something do-able for you to "spoil" your girl!;)

Moms:)

Sunflowers 02-02-2014 08:38 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Where is 3toesTony when you need him? :D

jocoyn 02-02-2014 09:14 PM

I am sure he is locked in some epic battle somewhere with sable123, just not here anymore.

That said, For many Orijen is a great food; for others not at all. There are many very good dog foods on the market.

s14roller 02-05-2014 03:13 PM

If she does well on them, no need to change...both are top tier foods.

Waldi 02-05-2014 03:21 PM

I have been using ACANA for my puppy and adult golden and and it is very good food.

marksteven 02-18-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 4954034)
I am sure he is locked in some epic battle somewhere with sable123, just not here anymore.

That said, For many Orijen is a great food; for others not at all. There are many very good dog foods on the market.

I agree with you , would love to know who nominated Orijen as
the best Kibble? I know its probably the richest which plenty of
GSD dogs like mine cant tolerate it. i guess maybe the bag with
the highest cost is the best ;)

GSDNVR 02-28-2014 12:51 PM

Mine loves and tolerates orijen extremely well
No GI issues whatsoever

Sent from Petguide.com Free App