German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   food advice (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/403842-food-advice.html)

KaiserII 01-29-2014 03:34 PM

food advice

We recently rescued a 1yo GSD. It's been about 10 years since we owned a dog and dog food has come a long way in that time. My problem is this, I started my guy on Eukanuba no problems, nice firm stools. When I found out that there is now much better food on the market I switched to Blue Buffalo, since the switch he hasn't had a solid stool. I blended a bag of Eukanuba into the BB and it improved. My question is , do you think it is worth it for me to continue with BB when my dog seems to do better on Eukanuba?

Thewretched 01-29-2014 04:51 PM

Did you slowly switch the food? About 1/4th of the new cup and slowly over 2 weeks to a month add more of it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Springbrz 01-29-2014 05:00 PM

If you search this site you will find a lot have issues with Blue Buffalo and soft stools. If It isn't working for your dog I would gradually switch to another high quality food.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

The above site might be helpful to you. It helps you to understand what makes a high quality dog food and which ones are and aren't of good quality.

I suggest you transition slowly and work toward the best quality food that fits your budget and keeps your dog looking and feeling good with good stools.

Best of luck!

NJDobbie 01-31-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserII (Post 4927602)
We recently rescued a 1yo GSD. It's been about 10 years since we owned a dog and dog food has come a long way in that time. My problem is this, I started my guy on Eukanuba no problems, nice firm stools. When I found out that there is now much better food on the market I switched to Blue Buffalo, since the switch he hasn't had a solid stool. I blended a bag of Eukanuba into the BB and it improved. My question is , do you think it is worth it for me to continue with BB when my dog seems to do better on Eukanuba?

Eukanuba is a fine food. Use what is convenient to buy, priced right and what the dogs does well on.

Blue Buffalo is nothing but a sharp marketing company. The foods are made all over the country by third parties based on prices.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 01-31-2014 10:48 AM

Looking at ingredients alone, BB is far superior to Eukanuba, which by the way is owned and manufactured by Proctor and Gamble....

A slow transition is important when switching between foods, especially when they are so drastically different. Start over and transition properly and see if that doesn't clear up the problem.

NJDobbie 01-31-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 4939530)
Looking at ingredients alone, BB is far superior to Eukanuba, which by the way is owned and manufactured by Proctor and Gamble....

A slow transition is important when switching between foods, especially when they are so drastically different. Start over and transition properly and see if that doesn't clear up the problem.

Stick with Eukanuba. Many people like to think they know about labels and ingredients but unfortunately they know very little, hint. Eukanuba's Premium Performance line foods are some of the best you can buy.

If ownership was a determining factor, none of you would buy any Champion, Nature's Variety, WellPet, Nutrisource, TOTW, Back to Basics or Earthborn products.

kr16 01-31-2014 08:01 PM

Eukanuba's Premium Performance

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken by-product meal (natural source of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine), corn meal, brewers rice, ground whole grain sorghum, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), dried beet pulp, chicken flavor, fish meal, dried egg product, fish oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, fructooligosaccharides, salt, sodium hexametaphosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, potassium iodide, cobalt carbonate), calcium carbonate, vitamins (ascorbic acid, vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), inositol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), dl-methionine, vitamin E supplement, l-carnitine, beta-carotene, rosemary extract

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 01-31-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJDobbie (Post 4942490)
Stick with Eukanuba. Many people like to think they know about labels and ingredients but unfortunately they know very little, hint. Eukanuba's Premium Performance line foods are some of the best you can buy.

If ownership was a determining factor, none of you would buy any Champion, Nature's Variety, WellPet, Nutrisource, TOTW, Back to Basics or Earthborn products.

Wow, way to be a member for 12 whole posts and be completely rude to someone who has been here for a long time. I did not direct my post to you, and I'd appreciate you not being rude to me. You don't know me, you don't know what I do and don't know.

What I do know, is that I would never feed, nor recommend, a food with those ingredients. Nor would I ever feed a food that is made by the same company who makes my shampoo.

Harry and Lola 01-31-2014 08:22 PM

I think you should always be guided by their stools, if stools are healthy then stick with what you are doing, if stools are not good then it pays to look at what they are eating.

lhczth 01-31-2014 08:23 PM

NJDobbie has been banned AGAIN. Our old friend Sable123 who just won't let it go and stop posting on this board.