German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Looking for cheap treats (or stick with Milkbone?) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/403514-looking-cheap-treats-stick-milkbone.html)

drew_in_oregon 01-29-2014 12:21 AM

Looking for cheap treats (or stick with Milkbone?)

My 9-year-old GSD eats Fromm's. Fromm's is kind of expensive.

I mix in Wild Calling, a premium wet food. Wild Calling is kind of expensive.

I give him a greenie every night as a treat and for glucosamine. Greenies are kind of expensive.

When he comes in from the yard, does what he's supposed to, etc. I give him a small treat. Frankly, I'm a bit fatigued from all the other costs...I love the guy but there's a limit to my budget. So I've been giving him Milkbones.

I used to give him Natural Balance treats (which are expensive) though I've moved away from their line since they were bought by Del Monte.

My wife says "you stopped serving him Natural Balance, but you give him Milkbones and they're made by Del Monte!" She's right as usual.

What is a good cheap treat?

trcy 01-29-2014 12:29 AM

I don't know about cheap, but I give natural balance loafs as treats. I just cut them in small pieces and keep them in a zip lock in the fridge. The large loaf is about $12 to $14, but last a while. My trainer has suggested I try hot dogs as training treats. I just bought some today, but haven't tried them yet.

We also have rice and lamb jerky treats we get at costco. I really large tub is only $12.00.

mspiker03 01-29-2014 12:41 AM

When I want cheap treats I make them! All natural peanut butter (with no added sugar), bananas, honey, rice (or other) flour, and eggs. Roll out and cut into whatever shape and bake. Super easy and inexpensive.

I also use Real meat brand dehydrated dog food for treats. While slightly pricey, they come in super small pieces so they last quite awhile if you aren't training with them. I used to use the Natural Balance rolls, but I like the ingredients in the dehydrated raw food much better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thesilentone 01-29-2014 03:13 AM

I've gotten a few of the Supreme Healthy Max Skin & Coat treats for $1 from Dollar Tree before and I couldn't believe the ingredients with salmon being the first listed. Not bad but probably not the best either. I just got some Dogswell treats and they are usually only $5-$7.99 at stores or online.

Also, I've made homemade dog treats before but it all depends on what you're using to make them.

David Winners 01-29-2014 04:32 AM

Hot dogs for sure.

Any discounted meat at the grocery. Cook and cube it, or slice and dehydrate.

Appropriate leftovers.

Carrot slices, frozen berries, cheese cubes.

Variety is a great thing!

David Winners

middleofnowhere 01-29-2014 12:39 PM

I use the tubes for training. Buy a large one for around 10 - 12 $, cube it, freeze it in zip locks. The puppy thinks kibble is a treat. I did get some hot dog for training as I think it might work better with her to feed from a long string rather than bits. But I don't like the crap in hot dogs.

I have a recipe somewhere that calls for pureed beef liver, flour, garlic. Bake it & cut it into small bits. Cheap, tasty and you have a good quality, controlled ingredient treat.

mego 01-29-2014 01:35 PM

I second the discount meat at the grocery store. You can get a whole tub of livers or gizzards at my grocery store for just a few bucks. Boil em and freeze, give them raw, bake them, etc, all good.

Honestly I dont think a few milkbones will kill your dog though if he likes them.

Sunflowers 01-29-2014 01:39 PM

You can also use Ziwipeak. A 2-pound bag is $28 but will last a really long time. The food is like bits of jerky, and very high quality, too.

ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine Lamb Real Meat Dry Dog Food

SusiQ 01-30-2014 01:46 PM

I use Nutripet Large Peanut Butter biscuits - each one contains 500 mg glucosamine - Tractor Supply has large bags (often on sale) for 9.99. They are at least 20.00 everywhere else.

Germanshepherdlova 01-30-2014 02:07 PM

I give my dogs Milkbone and have for the past few years without an issue