4 year old male too skinny ? Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 year old male too skinny ? Help

Hi all ,

I'm having issues with my dogs weight gain. After several brand switches ( the breeder gave him Alpo Dry food which we don't have in NYC) I finally got him on Core Wellness that doesn't give him diarrhea when he gets near the bottom of the bag . The vet noticed he wasn't putting on much weight and suggested pumpkin to be included in his food but it made his stool a little more softer .
When I took him to the vet recently the new vet said to stop . I also mentioned that if I gave him the amount on the bag it would come out like mush .
So now he's dropped about 22 pounds in a year. He is not lethargic and never turns down food . He's really hyper . You can see his ribs and easily feel them . They did 4 blood test and have no idea what's wrong with him . He also was negative for parasites/worms .

I'm following the directions from when he was boarding ( 2 -2 1/2 cups 2x a day ) & I added some wet food too and changed from the Orginal recipe to the one with fish . Any suggestions ??? He also is not neutered yet . Just hyper with a good appetite. He also went from 90 pounds to 68.5

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
FaithW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That is a big weight loss. Has your vet tested him for EPI?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Demand your vet test him for EPI, if the vet tests him and comes back negative - get another opinion.

If he is eating lots and losing weight his pancreas may not be working and he can not digest his food - that is EPI, they eat and basically starve to death all at the same time if not treated.

If it is EPI, it is easy to manage and treat by giving replacement enzymes before each meal. I use Creon capusles. These act as a replacement pancreas and help his body digest the food. You will notice an increase in weight by the end of a week and within a couple of months, he will be at an appropriate and good weight.

Also look at SIBO as these EPI and SIBO usually go hand in hand, again easy to treat with a course of Tylan.

It is very important you test and either confirm or eliminate EPI.

EPI in Snapshots - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you all for the responses . From what I understand all the test came back negative . I'm actually removing him from that vet because they ran a while bunch of tests on him without my consent and knowledge .

I'm actually not sure how much he weighed last year ; I realized they never updated the paper they gave me . I'm going to speak with the vet tomorrow and see what else they didn't find .

Any other suggestions ??

Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If it isn't EPI and you may want to have the new vet retest for that, then I would suspect a food allergy either to a grain, or to chicken, or even to salmon because of the diarrhea. I would try a grain free, no chicken, and gluten free food unless the one he was on is like that. Solid Gold is one dog food company that makes them. I guess i would feed that, and also give a pre-biotic for digestion.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

He's been tested for EPI & they did a full blood work up on him . I am not too sure what's going on. They just said the test came back negative . I ask going to take him to another vet for personal reasons as well

Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Absolutely take him to another vet and ask for the test to be done again, sometimes they do get it wrong and is better to get a second opinion.

My previous vet failed to diagnose Lola's thyroid problem, fortunately I found a vet experienced with the breed and have now ditched my local vet and travel almost an hour to new vet - worth it though.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Update :
The vet thinks he might have an chronic intestine issue? But we have to do more blood work maybe even a biopsy . But he also gave me some suggestions on how to manipulate his diet as well.
I'm stilly going to go to another vet . All his blood text came back negative . He's healthy otherwise .

Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with you I would go to another vet. Hopefully the diet changes will make him feel better in the meantime.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wonder if you should give him replacement enzymes anyway?

Anyone agree with this?

If you give him enzymes (Creon, EnzymeDiane just to name a few) and he does have EPI, then you will notice weight gain by the end of first week. ENZYME - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Otherwise to to EPI for dogs website Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency register and post your symptoms on their forum as their are some very experienced people there that may be able to better advise you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.