German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Healthy Weight Gain (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/400626-healthy-weight-gain.html)

wyoung2153 01-23-2014 03:12 PM

Healthy Weight Gain

Titan as steadily lost weight since I have been back from my deployment, before, a healthy 95 lbs.. lean, healthy muscle, not fat. He got down to 85 but still vet wasn't very concerned said that it is better to be lighter than heavier, and that if he stayed there she would be happy. He's 77 now. no change in diet, food or exercise. Only change would actually be that around the holidays he gets more scraps. Anways, after finding nothing in bloodwork, she wants us to increase his diet for the next month and come back in.

Any suggestions on healthy additives for a kibble fed dog? I thought yogurt, cottage cheese, veggies, etc. Something other than wet food unless it's a good quality food I suppose..

LaRen616 01-23-2014 03:17 PM

Eggs, green tripe, satin balls.

wyoung2153 01-23-2014 03:19 PM

Do forgive me.. lol, what are satin balls.. and can I give the tripe and balls with kibble or should they be seperate?

LaRen616 01-23-2014 03:21 PM

Put weight on your dog with "satin balls"

LaRen616 01-23-2014 03:22 PM

You can give tripe with kibble, at least that's what I do.

You can use the Satin Balls as treats or you can make it a meal.

wyoung2153 01-23-2014 03:32 PM

Thank you!! I will look into this for sure.. just gotta get weight one this guy! he looks so skinny :/

LaRen616 01-23-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 4890978)
Thank you!! I will look into this for sure.. just gotta get weight one this guy! he looks so skinny :/

You're welcome. :)

RubyTuesday 01-23-2014 03:35 PM

IMO, it's more important to find out why he's losing weight than to merely pack it back on. While healthy, sound animals can be incredibly naturally lean, they do not ordinarily just drop that much weight for no reason. Solve the underlying problem & the weight should self correct.

wyoung2153 01-23-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyTuesday (Post 4891018)
IMO, it's more important to find out why he's losing weight than to merely pack it back on. While healthy, sound animals can be incredibly naturally lean, they do not ordinarily just drop that much weight for no reason. Solve the underlying problem & the weight should self correct.

Agreed. So the vet ran a blood panel on for various reasons that could relate to the issue. Came back perfect. what she wants to do now, is see if in the next month with me increasing his food, if he will gain weight. If he doesn't gain any then that will tell her something more underlying is wrong and she will run more tests. If he gains the weight back she can then assume that it is not a nutrient deficiency problem and can work from there why he lost the weight. especially because for all intensive purposes he is is healthy. Eats, drinks, poops, exercises, tons of energy, temperature is good, no infections and bloodwork is good. So I understand what the vet is doing and believe me I won't let it be ignored, I am the last person to try and cover up an underlying problem.. as it's happened to me on the human side of things more than I care to admit.

NJDobbie 01-23-2014 04:15 PM

I wouldn't bother with supplements or satin balls. What works best for hard keeping dogs assuming medically everything is ok is switching to a 30/20 food or even a bit more like a 35/25.

You didn't mention what you fed but look into a performance type food.

The best ones are Dr. Tim's, Annamaet, Eagle, Red Paw, Precise Endurance...and the best one that is easy to find is Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20. If you shop on-line you get can any of those. Diamond Extreme Athlete is also another that is easy to find. It reads better than Euk Premium but it isn't anywhere near the quality.

I think you will find feeding a diet more geared for hard keepers will work better than supplements.

If you are feeding a high protein food with less than 20% fat, this may be causing the weight loss. Keep in mind calories from protein are entropic, meaning about 30% is lost metabolically.