German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Is there a right answer for food? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/400586-there-right-answer-food.html)

mct765 01-23-2014 12:29 PM

Is there a right answer for food?

After a lot of reading and questions to vets and my trainer I still have no answer on a dog food. I have a 17 month old female. I have looked into raw but may be too expensive for what I am looking for. I believe at this point I am between Fromm Large Breed and Natural Balance Large Breed. What do people recommend and what supplements would you add along side either of these foods?

Side question, I am likely getting a puppy in the next two weeks. Typically I have continued with whatever food the breeders have given for a long period afterward but was wondering if there was a good food for a decent price?

Thanks for all the help

jocoyn 01-23-2014 12:34 PM

I think there are a lot of good suggestions but ultimately you have to choose what works with your dog, your philosophies, and your pocketbook. A lot of us started pups on Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold and were happy.

Thewretched 01-23-2014 01:01 PM

I agree, large breed puppy Fromm is popular. And mostly don't take a vets advice on food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Galathiel 01-23-2014 02:22 PM

I'm feeding Fromm LBP right now. At his pre-agility class, one of the other owners asked if he had just had a bath, because his coat was so shiny (he's solid black). I just said, "nope, not since the end of summer." I also give him Vitamin C and Solid Gold Seameal supplement every day.

I think it really just depends which food your dog does best on. There are some I wouldn't feed, but there are many good brands to choose from.

Thewretched 01-23-2014 02:25 PM

As gala said, I also give 1,000 MG of vitamin C

SuperG 01-23-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewretched (Post 4890922)
As gala said, I also give 1,000 MG of vitamin C

I was always under the impression that dogs can biosynthesize their own vitamin C supply, humans are unable to do so.

SuperG

Galathiel 01-23-2014 04:00 PM

My breeder requires vitamin c supplements as part of her health guarantee. Vitamin C is an antioxidant and supports ligament and cartilage integrity, good for growing joints.

alexg 01-23-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewretched (Post 4890042)
I agree, large breed puppy Fromm is popular. And mostly don't take a vets advice on food.

Our vet recommended Canidae and according to the dogfoodadvisor.com it is a 5 star food.

SuperG 01-23-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galathiel (Post 4891666)
My breeder requires vitamin c supplements as part of her health guarantee. Vitamin C is an antioxidant and supports ligament and cartilage integrity, good for growing joints.

Wonder where your breeder dreamt that up ??

Maybe he/she owns stock in a vitamin company??

I remember my first dog came with a giant bottle and I mean GIANT BOTTLE of vitamin C, she insisted that the dog be given some everyday. I asked three different vets and they all said exactly the same....dogs synthesize their own vitamin C.....probably still have that GIANT container of vitamin C in the basement somewhere...

Maybe something has changed since then?

Just a curious question....what source supplies all the feral and wild canines with their vitamin C ?

I'm being curious not insulting

SuperG

Thewretched 01-23-2014 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171114 red = bad,