German Shepherds Forum banner

Is there a right answer for food?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Thewretched 
#1 ·
After a lot of reading and questions to vets and my trainer I still have no answer on a dog food. I have a 17 month old female. I have looked into raw but may be too expensive for what I am looking for. I believe at this point I am between Fromm Large Breed and Natural Balance Large Breed. What do people recommend and what supplements would you add along side either of these foods?

Side question, I am likely getting a puppy in the next two weeks. Typically I have continued with whatever food the breeders have given for a long period afterward but was wondering if there was a good food for a decent price?

Thanks for all the help

#2 ·
I think there are a lot of good suggestions but ultimately you have to choose what works with your dog, your philosophies, and your pocketbook. A lot of us started pups on Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold and were happy.

#4 ·
I'm feeding Fromm LBP right now. At his pre-agility class, one of the other owners asked if he had just had a bath, because his coat was so shiny (he's solid black). I just said, "nope, not since the end of summer." I also give him Vitamin C and Solid Gold Seameal supplement every day.

I think it really just depends which food your dog does best on. There are some I wouldn't feed, but there are many good brands to choose from.

#9 ·
Wonder where your breeder dreamt that up ??

Maybe he/she owns stock in a vitamin company??

I remember my first dog came with a giant bottle and I mean GIANT BOTTLE of vitamin C, she insisted that the dog be given some everyday. I asked three different vets and they all said exactly the same....dogs synthesize their own vitamin C.....probably still have that GIANT container of vitamin C in the basement somewhere...

Maybe something has changed since then?

Just a curious question....what source supplies all the feral and wild canines with their vitamin C ?

I'm being curious not insulting

SuperG

#12 ·

View Thumbnails
Ascorbic Acid

Why It's In There: Preservative, Vitamin C additive
Ascorbic acid is a widely used additive that helps prevent food spoilage. As a vitamer (a chemical compound that exhibits vitamin activity) of Vitamin C, ascorbic acid is also used as a Vitamin C additive in products ranging from cereal to beverages

Perhaps it is simply used as a preservative to help the food from spoiling????

SuperG

#15 ·
Perhaps, I was just expressing that food being not the best kibble compared to other choices, as for vitamin C in the food. I'm not sure

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I have been doing some reading about vitamin C for dogs and there is a voice out there which suggests it has it's benefits. So far, it seems that young dogs and old dogs...as well as stressed dogs will exhibit depleted levels of vitamin C levels at times. I did also see a mention of benefit regarding hip dysplasia....wow....wouldn't that be great?!!

Interesting, glad you brought it up...I will look into it further. Sounds as if there is no harm, so...what's to lose?

Thanks,

SuperG

#16 ·
There is no right or wrong answer, it is such a personal choice and a hard one at that, gosh I have tried so many. Most breeders start their pups on a good quality food, you can continue with this or choose your own, your Vet may have a suggestion also, but from experience avoid Vets suggestion as most push Science Diet which is expensive.

There is evidence that feeding high energy foods to inactive dogs (ie not working dogs) is not good as this can make the average dog hyperactive.

Imo it is better to choose an average quality (not the most expensive or cheapest) dry food for your pup from about 8 to 12 weeks. Look for one that has about 22-24% protein and 12-14% fat. That way if pup is overfeed then the results of overfeeding in terms of weight gain and growth won't be as dramatic as it would be if feed on a higher protein and fat percentage - grow your puppy slowly - overweight and excessive growth can lead to medical issues such as joint problems. I feel it is also good to combine with raw, such as chicken, red meat, yoghurt etc).

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.