German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   In your experience, is this true? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/398713-your-experience-true.html)

Sarah~ 01-20-2014 01:19 AM

In your experience, is this true?

4 Attachment(s)
I am about to try and switch back to regular meals with my dogs, Eko has had no issues with not over eating but my pit mix is about 10lbs overweight.

Eko has always been SO picky, if he does not like his food he will just not eat, I tried waiting him out once and he dropped a lot of weight, but even when he likes his food if I feed regular meals he will skip at least one meal sometimes two in a row, a couple times a week. He's been to the vet more than once for it the vet says he is healthy, not too skinny and she has known a lot of GSDs, male in particular, who do this. I know GSDs are picky but do they really still not eat even when they like that food?

Eko is maybe about 3-5lbs heavier now than he is in these photos, I will also show some I took today of my mix that my vet said is not overweight whatsoever...

Kaimeju 01-20-2014 01:40 AM

Eko looks healthy and very pretty. Does he have any issues with stress or anxiety? My vet said that can sometimes give GSDs gastritis and they don't want to eat. He recommended Pepcid (the human kind, regular strength, two pills). I tried *everything* to get my dog to eat when I first adopted her, and eventually just stopped worrying about it because mealtimes were just a struggle. Now that she's on a schedule she does better. Not leaving the food out if she wouldn't eat it helped. I also have to feed her less than what is recommended on the package or she will gain weight and won't eat all of it. There are some days when she can't wait to gulp down the food, and other days when she will sniff it and look at me like, "What is this? You expect me to eat this?" Having stomach problems myself, I can understand why one might wish to skip a meal even if the food is normally palatable. And in the wild, canines definitely don't eat the exact same amount of food twice a day, every day.

Sarah~ 01-20-2014 02:10 AM

Yes I would describe him as anxious... he has some mild SA, he whines a lot, I can only pet him so much if I pet him a lot he whines really loudly, yips and tries to climb on top of me. If he doesn't get at least a walk during the day he will just lay around and lick his front leg, I've had to put a cone on him before because of it. He is always stressing over what Xena is doing, just overall he is on edge. If he stops eating and I start to stress over it he ends up missing even more meals because he won't eat if I'm stressed out and in the same room as his food.

But it's not just that he doesn't take treats either in training, he just seems very disinterested in food in general. He might every once in a while take a treat from me but if anyone else tries forget it, he wouldn't even take raw meat from people who didn't believe me and tried. Could that be related to stress?

Kaimeju 01-20-2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah~ (Post 4866737)
But it's not just that he doesn't take treats either in training, he just seems very disinterested in food in general. He might every once in a while take a treat from me but if anyone else tries forget it, he wouldn't even take raw meat from people who didn't believe me and tried. Could that be related to stress?

Yeah, that sounds exactly like my dog. She has turned down hot dogs, raw meat, even steak from strangers. It could definitely be related to stress. As long as he is not underweight, I would try not to fret over it too much because as you say, he will pick up on it and not want to eat.

Another tip someone gave me was making a "trail mix" out of kibble and training treats of various sorts and feeding that throughout the day as a reward for good behavior. You can set aside the kibble you plan to feed in the morning and mix with training treats as needed, then whatever is left feed at the end of the day. The variety builds interest in the food.

David Taggart 01-20-2014 02:17 AM

Dieting doesn't work on its own without hard physical exercise, neither for people, nor for dogs or horses. Hard intellectual and bodily load on a daily basis - is your answer for both dogs. Too little of exercise leads to depression, and
Quote:

any issues with stress or anxiety? My vet said
is true, one thing helps the other: overweight or weight loss helps the stress, and stress helps your dog to lose weight or to put more.
Besides increasing number of times you throw his ball for him, feeding him strictly at the certain hour, try to start with "You wouldn't have it, if you don't pursue the task". Hide his meal and ask him to find it, nothing should be for free. Thus you would revive his primeval urge, food doesn't come to wolves so easily, they have to track it first.

harmony 01-20-2014 03:25 AM

I special order food for my dogs, and we have a dog that won't even eat that. It can be nerves and my dogs get to eat alone , it is theirs and their time. I have to treat a certain dog with nerves a certain way and her food cost twice as much as the rest, but it works for her.

David Taggart 01-20-2014 04:14 AM

Quote:

a certain dog with nerves a certain way and her food cost twice as much as the rest, but it works for her
Of course, agree 100%. Treats may work as well. There are many fattening treats you can make yourself and feed outdoors during exercises. You shouldn't be afraid of doing so, it wouldn't teach your dog to pick rubbish in the street as he is not eating well anyway. If you post it as a separate question people here would provide you with such recipes.

harmony 01-20-2014 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4866969)
Of course, agree 100%. Treats may work as well. There are many fattening treats you can make yourself and feed outdoors during exercises. You shouldn't be afraid of doing so, it wouldn't teach your dog to pick rubbish in the street as he is not eating well anyway. If you post it as a separate question people here would provide you with such recipes.

No treats LOL

harmony 01-20-2014 04:23 AM

why would anyone want their dog to pick thru garbage LOL, I don't want to see people doing it either :)

Sarah~ 01-20-2014 10:24 AM

I really like the trail mix idea! :) He loves his Kong and the stuffed toy I got him where he has to get the eggs out of its' belly lol. So it sounds like this is common in anxious dogs, that makes me feel a bit bad for him I knew he was anxious but not this bad.

More exercise making him hungrier makes sense, and since his gained some weight back I would feel better working him harder. When he lost that weight I was too worried to walk him, I thought maybe he wouldn't have the energy and it would make things worse.

It would have to be a pretty tasty treat to get him to eat it... What sorts of things would go into a treat like that? And do you mean I should have him find food outside? I don't know if I want him eating treats off of the ground :eek: Germs!