German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Food (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/397953-grandma-lucys-freeze-dried-food.html)

llombardo 01-18-2014 02:25 PM

Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Food

Thoughts and/or opinions on it, please and thank you!!

asja 01-18-2014 06:20 PM

We tried it once, I think it was the artisan lamb. It has alot of potatoes in it, and when you add water, it turned gelatinous. It had a weird consistency. My dog wouldn't eat it. Unfortunately I bought a large bag, and I had to meter it out in small quantities with other foods just to get rid of it. Buy a small bag first if you want to try it.

llombardo 01-18-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asja (Post 4857513)
We tried it once, I think it was the artisan lamb. It has alot of potatoes in it, and when you add water, it turned gelatinous. It had a weird consistency. My dog wouldn't eat it. Unfortunately I bought a large bag, and I had to meter it out in small quantities with other foods just to get rid of it. Buy a small bag first if you want to try it.

That's odd, it was more like an oatmeal texture and all the dogs loved it. I don't see any potatoes in the one I got:confused:

USDA Lamb, Chickpeas, Flax, Carrots, Celery, Apples, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Papaya, Spinach, Garlic, Rosemary, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Potassium, Manganese, Chloride, Copper, Magnesium, Pyridoxine, Cyanocobalamin.

NJDobbie 01-18-2014 07:09 PM

The cost of this food is nosebleeding. I don't think I would spend $6,$7,$8 a day for dog food. I wouldn't use it for puppies that is for sure unless you want weak and deformed bones. The label says it is All Life Stages but the phosphorous level is way to low to be called ALS and Cal/Ph ratio is over 2 to 1 at best. It could be higher with the minimum calcium of 1% and the maximum phosphorous of .48%. What if the actual calcium is 1.5% and phosporous is .45%. That is 3.33 to 1. This is what bothers me about company's like this. It is so obvious the foods do not comply with standards and a real professional did not formulate them.

Lucy Dog 01-18-2014 07:14 PM

Looks pretty expensive for what you get.

I've used this freeze dried food for years, but only use it as a topper once in a while.

Stella & Chewy's - Stella's Super Beef Freeze-Dried Dinner

asja 01-18-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4857601)
That's odd, it was more like an oatmeal texture and all the dogs loved it. I don't see any potatoes in the one I got:confused:

USDA Lamb, Chickpeas, Flax, Carrots, Celery, Apples, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Papaya, Spinach, Garlic, Rosemary, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Potassium, Manganese, Chloride, Copper, Magnesium, Pyridoxine, Cyanocobalamin.

I'm not sure which one you have. I tried Artisan Lamb, which was dried flakes you mix with water:

USDA Lamb, Potatoes, Flax, Carrots, Celery, Apples, Blueberries, Cranberries, Garlic, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Potassium, Manganese, Chloride, Copper, Magnesium, Pyridoxine, Cyanocobalamin.

Artisan Lamb 10lb :: All Natural, Freeze-Dried, Grain-Free Dog Food | Grandma Lucy's

Okay, I just looked again and I'm guessing you tried Pureformance?

llombardo 01-18-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asja (Post 4858089)
I'm not sure which one you have. I tried Artisan Lamb, which was dried flakes you mix with water:

USDA Lamb, Potatoes, Flax, Carrots, Celery, Apples, Blueberries, Cranberries, Garlic, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Potassium, Manganese, Chloride, Copper, Magnesium, Pyridoxine, Cyanocobalamin.

Artisan Lamb 10lb :: All Natural, Freeze-Dried, Grain-Free Dog Food | Grandma Lucy's

Okay, I just looked again and I'm guessing you tried Pureformance?

Yes I went with the pureformance.

llombardo 01-18-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJDobbie (Post 4857897)
The cost of this food is nosebleeding. I don't think I would spend $6,$7,$8 a day for dog food. I wouldn't use it for puppies that is for sure unless you want weak and deformed bones. The label says it is All Life Stages but the phosphorous level is way to low to be called ALS and Cal/Ph ratio is over 2 to 1 at best. It could be higher with the minimum calcium of 1% and the maximum phosphorous of .48%. What if the actual calcium is 1.5% and phosporous is .45%. That is 3.33 to 1. This is what bothers me about company's like this. It is so obvious the foods do not comply with standards and a real professional did not formulate them.

It comes out less then the kibble they were getting. 120 pounds of kibble runs about $230 a month. A 10 pound bag of this stuff makes about 51 pounds of food. It will now cost $160 a month for all 5 dogs. The ratios for the kibble are not that different. This dog food is 5 stars and comes highly recommended. The company has never had a recall and has been around since 1999.

DutchKarin 01-18-2014 09:06 PM

But with dehydrated the pounds don't transfer across the board with kibble. One you add water you will be serving up a much heavier bowl than the weight of kibble. So the 51 pounds of wet rehydrated dehydrated food will not last as long as 51 pounds of kibble.

Lucy Dog 01-18-2014 09:15 PM

A cup of that stuff still equals the same amount of calories as a typical dog food though. It might expand when you add water, but that does nothing for the nutritional value. You're still going to have to feed just as many cups of food as you would with regular kibble. It's just going to cost a lot more per cup.