German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Why is my Female German Shepherd so skinny? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/397713-why-my-female-german-shepherd-so-skinny.html)

Rezource 01-18-2014 01:49 AM

Why is my Female German Shepherd so skinny?

Ok so what is the average weight for a 7 month old Female German Shepherd cause my Female GS weighs about 16 to 17 kg but she is skinny, I have been told that by everybody I know. And how many times should I feed her a day cause I feed her once a day but in a large quantity, but should I be feeding her 2 times a day?

45yearsofGSDs 01-18-2014 02:13 AM

From my experience, 2 to 3 times/day in smaller portions. One time/day in a large quantity is a good qualifier for an inverted stomach. After she eats, keep her inside for 1/2 to a full hour before she gets to go out and romp again. GSDs are very high energy dogs as I'm sure you know and they need a lot of calories to burn.

Cassidy's Mom 01-18-2014 02:31 AM

Feed her twice a day. If she's too skinny, increase her meals. Can you feel all her ribs easily? Can you see the last rib or two, or can you see all of them?

Harry and Lola 01-18-2014 05:26 AM

A good weight for 7mo GSD bitch is about 23kg with a good average being between 22 and 24kg depending on height. At 17kg she is at a 5 month old weight. Because she is still very young you might want to consider feeding her daily food 1/2 in the morning and other 1/2 at night.

What are you feeding her? And how much are you feeding?

Galathiel 01-18-2014 07:56 AM

We can't tell you what a good weight for your GSD is. There is no true weight guide as it depends on the individual. At 7 months, she may be going through another growth spurt and that usually makes them lanky. She will fill out. Being lean is better than being overweight. As long as she isn't emaciated (all ribs showing, hipbones protruding, loss of muscle mass), she will catch up when her growth slows down.

SuperG 01-18-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezource (Post 4854817)
Ok so what is the average weight for a 7 month old Female German Shepherd cause my Female GS weighs about 16 to 17 kg but she is skinny, I have been told that by everybody I know. And how many times should I feed her a day cause I feed her once a day but in a large quantity, but should I be feeding her 2 times a day?

How about a picture of her.....easier to tell if she is underweight.

GSDs have a classic lanky stage as well.

SuperG

Lucy Dog 01-18-2014 10:49 AM

Most people don't have a clue what a healthy dog looks like. I get comments all the time from people I know that my dogs are skinny. Fact is they're healthy and just right weight wise.

Post a picture.

Rezource 01-18-2014 11:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok so here's some pics of her that I just took today.

SuperG 01-18-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezource (Post 4856273)
Ok so here's some pics of her that I just took today.

The 2nd and 3rd pictures make her look a bit on the lean side....you might take the advice of an earlier reply and feed her twice a day. I also do agree with another earlier poster who stated "Most people don't have a clue what a healthy dog looks like. I get comments all the time from people I know that my dogs are skinny. Fact is they're healthy and just right weight wise."

If one has to choose between an overweight pup/dog or lean pup/dog I would always choose a lean pup/dog. From the pictures you sent a few additional pounds wouldn't be the worst thing.

Also see what your vet thinks as well......I'm certain they know much more than me.

SuperG

Baillif 01-18-2014 12:32 PM

I'd feed her around 3 to 4 cups per day in as many feedings spread out through the day. If she was showing a little rib I'd consider that ideal. Keep em on the thinner side it is good for their joints in the long run.