German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   switching kibble, options (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/392850-switching-kibble-options.html)

xtramile 01-07-2014 08:13 PM

switching kibble, options

Right now Drago is about 60 lbs and coming up on ten months old, eating TOTW. He has been on it since we got him, and he has a beautiful shiny coat, but we are looking to change his kibble. The reasons are that he just does not care for TOTW, and I would like him to have a bit more enthusiasm and appetite come meal time. Since he will not finish a bowl in one sitting he has been grazing and I would like to end that. Also when he goes poo in the morning, there is a lot, and it would be nice to see what other kibbles can do for him.

We went to all the local pet stores to look at our options and read the ingredients and checked prices. In no particular order here are what we think we liked the most:

FROMM
Holistic SELECT
Merrick

We were able to find options in these brands that had no fillers, no controversial ingredients, and in our price range. Any thoughts on these three? I am most interested in Holistic SELECT.

Thewretched 01-07-2014 08:17 PM

I'm new here, but for what it's worth, I've heard good things about Fromm gold... And we have our baby on TOTW right now, we're planning to buy 30lb bag, of Fromm next, and switch at the end of each bag

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

xtramile 01-07-2014 09:22 PM

Maybe start cutting in a bit of the new bag before finishing of each new bag so it is easier transitions for your pup.

We have heard a lot of good things about Fromm as well. The closest store that sells it is less than a block from us so that is nice as well.

Thewretched 01-07-2014 09:23 PM

Of course, going to do it gradually, keeps them interested in the food, a lot of people will say go RAW, but it's expensive, Orijen is also highly recommended

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 01-07-2014 09:25 PM

On that list, I'd go with Fromm. Have you checked "Urban Canine" (2 locations spokane) or "Pawpular companions" (liberty lake) to see if there are other options? If you are feeding one pup and $ is not a problem, what about "honest kitchen"?

xtramile 01-07-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 4792370)
On that list, I'd go with Fromm. Have you checked "Urban Canine" (2 locations spokane) or "Pawpular companions" (liberty lake) to see if there are other options? If you are feeding one pup and $ is not a problem, what about "honest kitchen"?

We have been to one of the urban canine's on south hill. Did not know there was a second one (we are new to the area). I think we saw honest kitchen today somewhere. I forget the price point on it. Will look it up now.

We will have to go to Pawpular Companions, have not heard of that one either. Thanks for the recommendations :)

alexg 01-07-2014 09:50 PM

I have not seen anyone here ever mentioned Canidae Grain Free Pure Elements, but it seems (from our experience) like a very good food - the dog liked it and it has a 5 *s rating.

Momto2GSDs 01-07-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtramile (Post 4792506)
We have been to one of the urban canine's on south hill. Did not know there was a second one (we are new to the area). I think we saw honest kitchen today somewhere. I forget the price point on it. Will look it up now.

We will have to go to Pawpular Companions, have not heard of that one either. Thanks for the recommendations :)

Yes, do check out HK. It is the ONLY pet food in the USA allowed by the FDA to use the words "HUMAN GRADE INGREDIENTS" on their packaging and advertising. This is DE-Hydrated food so 10 pounds will RE-Hydrate to 35/40 pounds. All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen

Fromms is good kibble but I would choose the 4 Star Grain Free varieties b/c these do not contain DL-Methionine (a petroleum derivative). Four-Star Gourmet Recipes for dogs - Fromm Family Foods

Orijen is also a good food but gives some dogs lose stools. It's sister food Acana may be a safer choice. ACANA PET FOODS | Acana

Good luck!
Moms:)

xtramile 01-07-2014 11:23 PM

Interested in the Honest Kitchen, I would probably order it online. Does anyone have a good website they have ordered it from? Pricing seems to fluctuate as I search around.

Any links to info on DL-Methionine?

doggiedad 01-07-2014 11:33 PM

you may have to switch foods several times before
you find something that works for your dog and
something your dog likes.