German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   4health - Tractor Supply brand? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/391466-4health-tractor-supply-brand.html)

havery 01-05-2014 09:58 AM

4health - Tractor Supply brand?

I'm looking for a better food for Sofie, she's healthy enough but her coat is a little lackluster and she doesn't seem to be filling out well on Purina (I know, it's crap). I'm in a rural area, so choices are pretty limited to Walmart and Tractor Supply. I've heard good things about TOTW, but their recalls are kind of scary to be paying that much for it. I could ship, but I'd rather not, we're rural enough the only carrier that can find my house is UPS and he's so scared of Sofie he drops everything at the end of the driveway and I'm done using them. Any advice? Also, I may pop over to the raw diet, but that sounds like a lot of work (I've got two small children, one is a baby on bottles).

Donovan514 01-05-2014 10:08 AM

I feed 4 Health as that is what my breeder suggested. It had all the same ingredients as TOTW at a much cheaper price. Highly recommend.

Sp00ks 01-05-2014 10:09 AM

We are in a similar situation as you. We decided on 4health as well. Our breeder is also a vet and when we inquired with her she said that a lot of her patients are on 4 health and doing quite well. She chooses to feed a mix of Raw and a much more expensive brand that I can't find locally. She also buys in bulk so it's probably cheaper through the vets office..... Just saying.

We are transitioning our pup (8 weeks and a couple days old) over to 4Health and so far so good. Stool looks pretty good, he seems to like it. I have nothing bad to say about it thus far. We are mixing in a little bit of raw as well.

I'm not sure if that answered your question but is the best feedback I have.

Donovan514 01-05-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4775914)
We are in a similar situation as you. We decided on 4health as well. Our breeder is also a vet and when we inquired with her she said that a lot of her patients are on 4 health and doing quite well. She chooses to feed a mix of Raw and a much more expensive brand that I can't find locally. She also buys in bulk so it's probably cheaper through the vets office..... Just saying.

We are transitioning our pup (8 weeks and a couple days old) over to 4Health and so far so good. Stool looks pretty good, he seems to like it. I have nothing bad to say about it thus far. We are mixing in a little bit of raw as well.

I'm not sure if that answered your question but is the best feedback I have.

Are you transitioning to adult formula? My breeder feeds all their pups adult formula as they state it is better the grow GSD's slower to prevent bone issues, etc... My pup seems to love the food and she's very healthy.

doggiedad 01-05-2014 10:14 AM

find a better brand of food. try extra virgin
salmon oil. add a couple of eggs per week.
feed your dog some fresh beef, fowl, rabbit,
chicken, lamb, pork, fish, etc.brush your dog
often.

have your food delivered. keep your dog contained
when it's delivery time.

Donovan514 01-05-2014 10:33 AM

From the Bag
4health™Performance Formula for Adult Dogs is specifically formulated to meet the nutritional needs of your highly active sporting or working dog. With 30% protein and 20% fat, this energy dense formulation will help keep your active dog in ideal lean body condition while supporting the strength and stamina that active dogs need.
Great Taste - Fresh chicken satisfies your dog's taste preference.
Antioxidant Formulation - Contains guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium for optimal antioxidant nutrition.
Contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin - Contains 600 mg/kg glucosamine hydrochloride and 200 mg/kg chondroitin sulfate.
Omega Fatty Acid Nutrition - A blend of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids helps keep the skin and coat healthy and shiny.
Natural Fiber Blend - Dried plain beet pulp and dried chicory root work together to help support healthy digestion.
Natural Grains - A blend of rice and barley provides optimal carbohydrate nutrition.
Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 30.0% (min.), Crude Fat 20.0% (min.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 3.3% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% (min.), Glucosamine* 600 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin Sulfate* 200 mg/kg (min.),
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile.
Caloric Content:
4,019 kcal/kg (376 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

4 Health Stats

havery 01-05-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4775938)
find a better brand of food. try extra virgin
salmon oil. add a couple of eggs per week.
feed your dog some fresh beef, fowl, rabbit,
chicken, lamb, pork, fish, etc.brush your dog
often.

have your food delivered. keep your dog contained
when it's delivery time.

My dog is always contained, we have a large fenced backyard or she's in the house. My delivery man is just an idiot... seriously, how does he deliver in a rural area being that scared of dogs?

hunterisgreat 01-05-2014 10:44 AM

4health comes off the same production line as TOTW. I switch between 4health, raw, and orijin/acana

havery 01-05-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 4776058)
4health comes off the same production line as TOTW. I switch between 4health, raw, and orijin/acana

Is Orijin available in store anywhere? I've heard good things about it as well.

doggiedad 01-05-2014 10:47 AM

is your dog doing anything to make him scared?

Quote:

Originally Posted by havery (Post 4776018)
My dog is always contained, we have a large fenced backyard or she's in the house. My delivery man is just an idiot... seriously, how does he deliver in a rural area being that scared of dogs?