Orijen users-I have a question! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Orijen users-I have a question!

Not to be gross....but I have switched my 2 Shepherds to Orijen adult dog food a few weeks ago but since then their poo is MASSIVE and REALLY smelly. They used to be on Natures Variety Instinct and their poo was no where near this big or smelly. For my girl she is about 72pounds and not too active) I feed her 2 cups of orijen a day. For my boy he is 90pounds and pretty active so he gets 2 1/2 cups of orijen a day. Is that normal with this food or is it something transitional as they're still getting used to it? I did transition from their old food very slowly gradually mixing in more and more orijen.
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Khaleesi was in Orijen when she was boarded during my deployment. The poops did get firm after a month or so, but the smell never got better. God awful! I feed raw so that was not something I was use to at all!!!! She is back on raw now with tiny poops and no smell. I will say, apart from the smell, I was very happy with her condition on Orijen.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Khaleesi von Feuer- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
MilesNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

That hasn't been my experience with Orijen. Halo was on the LBP formula up until about a year old, and since then (she's now 5 years old) she's been on the Adult formula. Her stools are usually great. If she's been running around at the park they tend to be softer than at home, but that's typical of every dog I've had, no matter what I feed.

Keefer has been on the 6 Fish formula for a few years now, and his stools are larger and softer than hers, but still not bad. And that's a fairly recent development, his stools used to be perfect too, so I don't think it's the food, which has not changed. I've been adding Prozyme to his meals for the past few days to see if that makes a difference.

Neither of them have gas issues, (which Keefer did on Wellness Core), and their poop is no more smelly than any other foods I've used over the years, but I've never fed raw. I really like the condition of their coats on Orijen vs some other foods. I briefly tried Halo on Earthborn Logistics Primitive Natural, I think we went through 2 or 3 bags before switching back to Orijen because her coat felt dry. On Orijen it's very soft and plush feeling.

It is possible that while Orijen a very good food, it may not the best one for your dogs.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Orijen is my rotation. his poops are firm. i'm not close enough
to his poop to know if it's very smelly from Orijen or any other
food i feed him.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Orijen was too rich for my girl. Her poo was always soft and she had lots of gas.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yup. My dog's stools are firm, but larger than I'm used to seeing. He's been on the 6 fish for a year now. And when he goes, you can smell it from across the yard. It's really quite something, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Hmmmm.....it's only been about 3 weeks since the switch....I guess I'll give it a little longer to see how it goes. I used to feed them Natures Variety and they did really well with it, the poo was small and not very smelly....the only reason I switched was the company started importing ingredients from China to use in the food and that's a big no no for me :-\. Thanks for the input guys!!
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Orijen has worked wonderful for both Minka, Zarek and Eli. None of the dogs have big poops but the puppy poop does smell a bit. But I think it has been progressively getting less smelly (and that might have to do with his being wormed). FYI: Eli is older and less active. He used to be on Wellness but has a weight problem and I did not like the Wellness for Seniors. I switched to Orijen for Seniors and that has worked out super great for him.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

go catch on the Chinese ingredients. i've used Natures Variety.
i stay away from anything made in China (food, treats, toys, leash,
collar, bowls, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissG View Post
Hmmmm.....it's only been about 3 weeks since the switch....I guess I'll give it a little longer to see how it goes. I used to feed them Natures Variety and they did really well with it, the poo was small and not very smelly....

>>>>> the only reason I switched was the company started importing ingredients from China to use in the food and that's a big no no for
me <<<<<:-\.

Thanks for the input guys!!
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Jasmine has been on Orijen since she was about 5 or 6 months old. She was on 6 Fish until about a year and then rotated through 6 Fish, Regional Red, and the adult formula since then (she is just over 2 years old now) and has always done quite well on all the Orijen formulas. She gets gassy now and then, and occasionally isn't 100% firm, but I think that's normal and attribute it more to the other things she eats (especially the mouthfulls of cat food she sneaks) than to her kibble.

As far as I am aware (though it may have changed), the only ingredient that Nature's Variety imports from China is the rabbit that is in certain rabbit formulas. You could just not feed the rabbit formula and continue to feed Instinct if your dog did better on it.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.