German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   dog food recomendations (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/388626-dog-food-recomendations.html)

PDFrogman 12-30-2013 12:11 PM

dog food recomendations

I want to take my 2 year old female GSD off Blue buffalo adult formula
she doesnt seem to "like" this food any longer, even though I mix BB canned food with the kibble.
she has no health issues.

she eats absolutely no human food,meaning she doesn't beg at the dinner table and I can take her into a restaurant, put her under the table and no one knows she is there.

looking for some recommendations, all the dog foo reviews I have read seem to be bias in one way or another.

Eiros 12-30-2013 12:21 PM

We are switching to raw soon, but warden liked both taste of the wild and solid gold barking at the moon.

We've also fed Fromm.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Msmaria 12-30-2013 12:25 PM

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Momto2GSDs 12-30-2013 12:27 PM

If you can't feed raw, the next best thing is The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Foods. They are 100% Human Grade Ingredients (mostly organic) processed in a Human Grade facility. It is the ONLY pet food in the USA that the FDA will allow legally to use the words Human Grade on its advertising and packaging. A 10# box of Embark will cost about $75 but will RE-hydrate to 35 to 40 pounds.;) All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen
Where to purchase: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen

If you must feed kibble, Frommís has quality ingredients in their NON Grain varieties (other varieties: Classic & Gold, contains DL-Methionine). They also have their own plant in Wisconsin, so it is not farmed out to other manufacturing companies. Below are 2 examples.
FROMMíS: Four-Star Gourmet Recipes for dogs - Fromm Family Foods (look at the left hand "Non Grain" column)
BEEF FRITTATA: Protein 30% Fat 18% grain-free blend: First 10 Ingredients: Beef Peas Whole Egg Russet Potatoes Pea Protein Pork Meat Meal Beef Liver Sweet Potatoes Dried Tomato Pomace Salmon Oil Flaxseed Wisconsin Cheese. All Life Stages. $2.40-$2.60/LB
SURF & TURF: Protein 30% Fat 19% grain-free blend:∑First 10 ingredients: Pacific Wild Salmon Duck Meal Russet Potatoes Pea Flour Sweet Potatoes Duck Chicken Fat Dried Tomato Pomace Salmon Meal Whole Dried Egg All Life Stages $2.40-$2.60/LB
Where to purchase: Fromm USA Retailers

Acana Regionals Non Grain is also a good choice: Acana Regionals | Acana Where to purchase: Store Locator | Acana

Moms:)

PDFrogman 12-30-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eiros (Post 4743274)
We are switching to raw soon, but warden liked both taste of the wild and solid gold barking at the moon.

We've also fed Fromm.

thanks
I considered TOTW but got turned off by the fact they contract diamond to make some of their foods
I am considering Fromm I have a cousin who shows breeds and shows russian wolf hounds and she recently changed from BB to Fromm

PDFrogman 12-30-2013 03:39 PM

thanks momtogo2GSD

Gretchen 12-30-2013 03:56 PM

I like Momto2GSDs suggestions. We use THK and have fed our cats Fromms, they seemed to like it and they are picky.

Donovan514 12-30-2013 07:43 PM

I would recommend "4 Health" as it has the same stats as TOTW at a way better price.

My5dogs 12-30-2013 08:16 PM

I feed Fromm large breed puppy. Very happy with it

Cheyanna 12-31-2013 01:36 AM

We feed Fiona and Gilda raw. I have recently started adding in kibble. They had to eat kibble at training camp, because not everyone has a dog freezer. I picked Canidae Pure. It has 10 or less ingredients. Closest to raw I could find.