German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Too thin (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/387330-too-thin.html)

karan 12-27-2013 02:53 PM

Too thin

Hi, my gsd is 2.5 yrs and weights 70 lbs... He just wouldn't gain weight.. What should i feed him??? He dosnt like dry food so i feed him boiled chicken
Help please

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GSDlover143 12-27-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan (Post 4730330)
Hi, my gsd is 2.5 yrs and weights 70 lbs... He just wouldn't gain weight.. What should i feed him??? He dosnt like dry food so i feed him boiled chicken
Help please

Not all GSDs are meant to be heavy. Can you see protruding ribs? Is it to the point where you can feel them rib for rib? Also posting a pic would be ideal: )

GSDlover143 12-27-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan (Post 4730330)
Help please

70 pounds does not sound bad, also male or female??

gaia_bear 12-27-2013 03:04 PM

Are you only feeding boiled chicken? He may need a more balanced diet.

karan 12-28-2013 04:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi, he is a male

What would be the balanced diet then??? I want him to be more like 80 pounds cuz he gets a lot if exercise to stay up to date

Attachment 154834Attachment 154842Attachment 154850Attachment 154858Attachment 154866

erfunhouse 12-28-2013 07:52 AM

Looks just like my guy

LoveEcho 12-28-2013 08:13 AM

He actually looks like he's a good weight... that doesn't look like a dog who would do too well with an extra ten pounds packed on. You should be able to feel his ribs as you would feel your knuckles with your hand out flat, but they shouldn't be prominent (like how you knuckles feel when you make a fist).

Twyla 12-28-2013 08:15 AM

At 2.5 years, your dog is the size he will be. He may bulk up just a bit more, but he wasn't meant to be a 80 lb dog. Find a good quality food, top it with the chicken and feed him on a regular schedule. Amount each feeding would probably be around 1 1/2 cups. If he absolutely refuses the food, do some research on a balanced home cooked food or consider raw. Boiled chicken alone is not enough and not balanced.

SuperG 12-28-2013 10:15 AM

Karan,

Your pooch looks pretty reasonable to me.....

A bit leaner is much better than a bit too heavy....better on the dog's joints and skeletal structure.

A diet of boiled chicken sounds like a diet for losing weight not gaining. A solid protein diet is not something I would feed my dog as it leads to health issues down the road.

Take the time and research a balanced diet for your pooch. I feed my dog raw but add many things to her diet in order to get the balance required.

I try to keep a 10-20% ratio of fat/oils in my dog's diet as the calories and fatty acids obtained from fat/oils are crucial to a dog's health.

Of course, too much fat can be a negative as well but the upside is...dogs are not subjected to the same problems as humans when it comes to fat....such as high cholesterol.

Take the time and research a quality diet for your pooch and you both will be happier.

SuperG

MaggieRoseLee 12-28-2013 10:22 AM

He looks wonderful to me. Most dogs are FAT so it's hard to see a healthy dog and recognize it :)