German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Could it be a bad batch of food? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/385090-could-bad-batch-food.html)

llombardo 12-22-2013 10:19 AM

Could it be a bad batch of food?

I have never had this many dogs sick at one time and the only common thing is the food:( I decided a couple weeks ago that Midnite needed to go on a diet, so I am mixing Fromms Whitefish and Potatoe with there Weight Management food, mostly weight management food in the mix. First the golden got sick, throwing up undigested food and icky poop. I spent hundreds on him with no answers except his stomach is irritated and he is still not completely better. The golden puppy has also thrown up undigested food. Just today my oldest threw up a whole bunch of undigested food. Oddly the food that is coming up that I see is the whitefish, but it didn't start until a few days after the other food was mixed in. My oldest NEVER throws up, her nickname is tank. The Shepherds are doing okay so far. None of them are eating as much, they are just picking. Then there is the foster dog that loves the whitefish and gets only that, doesn't pick at it and no puking or icky poop. Fromm is closed today and I'm waiting for the place I bought it at to open. Should I just bring back the weight management stuff and stick with the whitefish? What I don't like is that the goldens liver values were elevated and the vet questioned toxins.could there be something in the food?

Allie512 12-22-2013 10:58 AM

I feed Fromm - chicken a la veg and salmon a la veg; however some of their formulas have duck in the formula and Ziggy throws up any product with duck. I would contact Fromm.

Sunflowers 12-22-2013 11:00 AM

My rule is when things go wrong, undo the last thing you did.

llombardo 12-22-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 4710690)
My rule is when things go wrong, undo the last thing you did.

This is probably one of the best rules I have heard:)

doggiedad 12-22-2013 11:04 AM

i think you should stop feeding what you're feeding. switch brands.
have the food you're feeding tested. i wonder if something has been
added in the water? i would have my water tested.

llombardo 12-22-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4710722)
i think you should stop feeding what you're feeding. switch brands.
have the food you're feeding tested. i wonder if something has been
added in the water? i would have my water tested.

Interesting...Never thought about the water. It's well water and was tested when I bought the house, not that long ago. Maybe I will start giving them bottled water to be safe.

doggiedad 12-22-2013 11:24 AM

have your water tested again. our water has a chemical smell to it
and it doesn't taste good. we use spring water or filtered water
from Whole Foods. it cost 49 cents to refill a gallon bottle. we give
our dog the spring water or the filtered water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4710770)
Interesting...Never thought about the water. It's well water and was tested when I bought the house, not that long ago. Maybe I will start giving them bottled water to be safe.

GatorBytes 12-22-2013 11:25 AM

My goodness you have your hands full with doggie issues:(

I would keep a hefty sample to be analyzed (not by Fromm), before returning.

May be the food. What else do they all have in common? I know you weren't going to give trifexis or spot-on (cannot remember exactly), but were giving Capstar is it?

What about treats?

Maybe we will soon see Fromm on recall list

I hope they all come around

Here is something on the Dogfoodadvisor forum seems related
Topic: Fromm Dog Food Dangers

JeanKBBMMMAAN 12-22-2013 11:41 AM

How are their fecals if you had them tested? Has the foster dog been de-wormed? If the foster has been, and your dogs have been "exposed" (almost impossible to avoid) they MAY have picked something up. Just another thought other than food (or treats).

Sunflowers 12-22-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4710714)
This is probably one of the best rules I have heard:)

Comes from pilots :)