German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Meat for Christmas (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/383010-meat-christmas.html)

HarleyTheGSD 12-17-2013 12:03 PM

Meat for Christmas

I want to get Harley and Varick some sort of meat for Christmas. Should I get them a meaty dog bone or a would a raw steak be okay? I've never fed raw and will not be doing it. I'm just wondering if it's safer to buy a bone made for dogs or simply giving them each a steak.

Lilie 12-17-2013 12:11 PM

If it were me, and my dogs haven't eaten raw before, I'd go with chicken / turkey necks. You can buy them in pieces.

Shade 12-17-2013 12:28 PM

Chicken or beef is my go to meat, though they've had pork and turkey without problems.

ndirishfan1975 12-17-2013 12:47 PM

I don't feed RAW either, but do occassionally give my dogs soup bones. They love them. I would definitely go with the meaty bone. They can gnaw on the bone LONG after the meat is gone. If you give a steak it will be gone in about 30 seconds.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 12-17-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 (Post 4685458)
I don't feed RAW either, but do occassionally give my dogs soup bones. They love them. I would definitely go with the meaty bone. They can gnaw on the bone LONG after the meat is gone. If you give a steak it will be gone in about 30 seconds.

Yep ! Soup bones are great and last a long time.

dawnandjr 12-17-2013 01:11 PM

I would be careful about giving them something too rich. They could have loose stools. Knuckle bones are a great option, as well as chicken/turkey necks.

ndirishfan1975 12-17-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom (Post 4685506)
Yep ! Soup bones are great and last a long time.

And they do wonders for their teeth. I have an 8 year old Dobermine and a 10 month old GSD. My Dobie's teeth looked like he had just had a dental cleaning after his first soup bone. Much better than any artificial dental bone from the store.

HarleyTheGSD 12-17-2013 01:40 PM

Thank you all for the replies! I'll probably go with a soup bone.

Bequavious 12-17-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 (Post 4685458)

Do you know what soup bones come from? Is it just a generic term for any bone used to make soup or is it something specific like a beef knuckle is?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wolfstraum 12-17-2013 06:13 PM

be careful with the knuckle part of the soupbone - there can be alot of cartilage (shiny white stuff) and I have seen alot of dogs get sick from eating it....I always give the marrow bone part --- and I know some dogs find the marrow too rich as well

If you give these bones "soup bones" be sure it is raw - do NOT cook them!!!

Lee