German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   I think Orijen gives my dog diarrhea. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/380842-i-think-orijen-gives-my-dog-diarrhea.html)

asja 12-13-2013 05:30 PM

I think Orijen gives my dog diarrhea.

We've been feeding Orijen Regional Red for a while now, but I think it gives her diarrhea. I think we'll go back to Honest Kitchen Love, but I was looking for something not quite as expensive as HK Love. We tried Grandma Lucy's, it was horrible, my dog wouldn't eat it. Sojos is okay, but I think my dog is sick of it. I don't know what else to try.

Montu 12-13-2013 05:32 PM

Have you tried Acana?

asja 12-13-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montu (Post 4666978)
Have you tried Acana?

yes we tried their fish food, I think it's Pacifica. We could try that again.

Momto2GSDs 12-13-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asja (Post 4666970)
We've been feeding Orijen Regional Red for a while now, but I think it gives her diarrhea. I think we'll go back to Honest Kitchen Love, but I was looking for something not quite as expensive as HK Love. We tried Grandma Lucy's, it was horrible, my dog wouldn't eat it. Sojos is okay, but I think my dog is sick of it. I don't know what else to try.

Orijen and Acana is great food but the Orijen is sometimes too much for some dogs. Usually Champion's Acana suits those dogs better. Maybe you could try different varieties of Acana and rotate them?
Have you tried the non grain Embark by HK? It's a little cheaper and you could rotate with the Love to save a little $$$. What about using the HK Preference (needs meat added) on the weekends and add ground turkey or beef to it????
You can even use Acana and HK at different meals to really give your Fur Kid a variety!;)

Moms:)

boomer11 12-13-2013 06:56 PM

with orijen if you overfeed they will have diarrhea

jocoyn 12-13-2013 07:09 PM

Beau really could not tolerate Orijen or Acana. I tried several things including THK and come back to Nature's Logic. It works for us and I can rotate.

dogfaeries 12-14-2013 12:45 AM

Carly couldn't eat Orijen either. Always gave her diarrhea.

doggiedad 12-14-2013 08:50 AM

go the pet store and spend some time reading labels and
go online and search. check out Verus.

asja 12-14-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 4667042)
Orijen and Acana is great food but the Orijen is sometimes too much for some dogs. Usually Champion's Acana suits those dogs better. Maybe you could try different varieties of Acana and rotate them?
Have you tried the non grain Embark by HK? It's a little cheaper and you could rotate with the Love to save a little $$$. What about using the HK Preference (needs meat added) on the weekends and add ground turkey or beef to it????
You can even use Acana and HK at different meals to really give your Fur Kid a variety!;)

Moms:)

Yes we've tried Embark and Force, and I have a box of Preference. Bonni thinks it's just okay, she doesn't love it. I do add meat to it, and she loves sardines. I also rotate food for her. I might try the Acana again, and get her a box of Love. Love in a box! It's a great name. I was feeding her HK Love and Embark for years, but I think she was getting tired of it, so we were trying new foods. I might just go back. She loves the Orijen Regional Red, it just gives her diarrhea.

huntergreen 12-14-2013 02:51 PM

did you gradually shift food or just a quick change?