German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Food for itchy skin (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/377809-food-itchy-skin.html)

Be&Luna 12-07-2013 08:29 PM

Food for itchy skin

My 1 1/2 year old GSD has very dry and itchy skin. I believe it may be a food allergy. Can anyone recommend any dog foods that have no by-products, grain, chicken, and rosemary. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ladyb 12-07-2013 08:36 PM

Lady has had a terrible itchy beginning of winter! There's another thread here where I got some advice on oils, etc that might be helpful...in addition, I've switched to grain free foods and treats for a week to see if it helps. Lots of brands have grain free products, I went to a local pet supply store and purchased Taste of the Wild...I got the seafood flavored one, and got some treats as well...

alessandro 12-08-2013 08:57 AM

Look for one with a single protein source the dog hasnt eaten before, I wouldnt completely rule out those that have rice in providing the gluten(rice protein) as been removed.
I had a dog years ago that was allergic to the majority of meats he was fed on a Duck & rice gluten free food for many years after being diagnosed

doggiedad 12-08-2013 09:06 AM

i would have my dog allergy tested.

Momto2GSDs 12-08-2013 09:38 AM

The Honest Kitchen DE-Hydrated foods: Turkey: Embark - Grain Free, High Protein Dog Food | The Honest Kitchen a 10# box is about $70 but Re-hydrates to 35 pounds.

If not sensitive to eggs: Fromm's Pork/Peas: Grain-Free Pork & Peas Recipe dog food - Fromm Family Foods

NutriScan is the only patented saliva test. It was created by Dr. Jean Dodds. nutriscan.com

"This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerance's or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
NutriScan is split into two test panels, so you can order one or both. I’d order both.
Panel1: Beef, Corn, Wheat, Soy, Cow’s Milk, Lamb, Venison/Deer, Chicken, Turkey, White Fish.
Panel 2: Chicken Eggs, Barley, Millet, Oatmeal, Salmon, Rabbit, Rice, Quinoa, Potatoes, Peanuts/Peanut Butter.
$130 for one panel (10 antigens), $250 for two panels (20 antigens). Vet Allergy test cost about $500 for 20 antigens. Check this page for test differences: http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/nutriscan-vs-skin-patchskin-prick-testing.html

Moms:)

sunsets 01-02-2014 05:53 PM

I know I sound like a company shill, but I swear by Royal Canin Skin Support SS. You can probably order a small bag from your vet's office if you want to give it a try. It is seriously a miracle food for Heinz, he looks amazing on it.

SuperG 01-02-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Be&Luna (Post 4632481)
My 1 1/2 year old GSD has very dry and itchy skin. I believe it may be a food allergy. Can anyone recommend any dog foods that have no by-products, grain, chicken, and rosemary. Thanks!

Raw.......you get to control everything that goes into it.

SuperG

GatorBytes 01-02-2014 06:29 PM

RAW....grain free isn't starch free (kibble)...carbohydrates impair mineral absorption, trace minerals like zinc are imperative for healthy skin and immune function