Evolve Grain Free reviews/opinions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evolve Grain Free reviews/opinions?

My local HEB grocery store carries Evolve pet foods. Dogfoodadvisor give Evolve 4 star for their dog foods. I saw a new grain free line last night in the store. Evolve Grain Free with 2 flavors. Salmon & sweet potato & turkey, peas, and garbanzo beans. I havent been able to find a review online on these (i guess since they are so new). I have attached the ingredients label and nutrition analysis.
Opinions please?

I'm considering this for Emmett who needs a grain free food. This is more cost effective than wellness core that he is on now. He was on the original formulas of Evolve but had an issue with the cheese in those formulas.
Attached Thumbnails
Evolve Grain Free reviews/opinions?-wp_20130831_001.jpg   Evolve Grain Free reviews/opinions?-wp_20130831_002.jpg  
Emmett GSD mix 8-1-2011
Peanut Butter Toast (the cat) 4-15-2004
DobberDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Research feeding RAW is my advice.
rdease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdease View Post
Research feeding RAW is my advice.
I see people capitalizing RAW all the time, why?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do not want to feed raw. You won't convince me otherwise at this point in time. I had my last GSDs on raw for awhile but won't feed raw to my current dogs for my own personal reasons.

Thanks for your consideration.
Emmett GSD mix 8-1-2011
Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

It doesn't look bad, though it has a lot of peas/beans in it. Probably a little low on meat, but that could be remedied by giving your dog some chicken, ground beef, etc. a few times a week. We are giving our newest family member - a kitten that found us - Evolve kitten food as well as some canned food. Once he is a year or so we'll switch him to the same grain free food as the other kitties.
I don't know how much Evolve grain free dog food is, so it's hard to say if it is worth it. I would say the formula is comparable to Tractor Supply's new line of grain free food, which runs about $37/30 pounds.
For comparisons sake, I have my two sheps on Dr Tim's food but not the grain free kind. It costs me $61 for 44 pounds at Chewy.com and is rated 4.5 stars. The dogs look great and have a very good amount of energy. The grain free is $54/30 lbs. and gets a 5 star through dog food advisor. All the varieties have a very good amount of meat in them.
So that was a long way to say you will just have to evaluate the cost vs. the quality and see what is best. One of my dogs was on Wellness also, but when the cost kept going up, I had to switch.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
It doesn't look bad, though it has a lot of peas/beans in it. Probably a little low on meat, but that could be remedied by giving your dog some chicken, ground beef, etc. a few times a week. We are giving our newest family member - a kitten that found us - Evolve kitten food as well as some canned food. Once he is a year or so we'll switch him to the same grain free food as the other kitties.
I don't know how much Evolve grain free dog food is, so it's hard to say if it is worth it. I would say the formula is comparable to Tractor Supply's new line of grain free food, which runs about $37/30 pounds.
For comparisons sake, I have my two sheps on Dr Tim's food but not the grain free kind. It costs me $61 for 44 pounds at Chewy.com and is rated 4.5 stars. The dogs look great and have a very good amount of energy. The grain free is $54/30 lbs. and gets a 5 star through dog food advisor. All the varieties have a very good amount of meat in them.
So that was a long way to say you will just have to evaluate the cost vs. the quality and see what is best. One of my dogs was on Wellness also, but when the cost kept going up, I had to switch.
Thanks for your reply. The 15 pound bag costs $22.98 for the evolve grain free vs 12pounds of wellness core at 32.98.

I'll do a bit more digging on it and see if I can come up with some more reviews.
Emmett GSD mix 8-1-2011
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Thinking about swithching to grain free

I had recently heard about a friend switching their dog food to grain free as well. I was considering it because he said it helped his dogs ears and other allergies and my 2 year old has had this same problem for a while. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar issue and seen any improvements from switching to grain free.
Igormila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.