supplements to boost the immune system? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default supplements to boost the immune system?

Hope I have this in the right spot
I wondered if anyone might have some suggestions for natural supplements that could help to boost my dog's immune system. We have been fighting an infection for several months now with out much luck.
While discussing it with our vet he said that for some his body just isn't fighting it off.
I have been doing research on the diets and how they can be related to different health issues and I had also tried to do some research on supplements but mostly just found info for humans.
Raccoonlassie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What kind of infection?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

All I know is that it is a systimic infection.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a few suggestions, but helps to know symptoms (gastro, blood values, skin issues, ear issues...for example), what the vet has scripted (meds. HW/flea prevention etc.), age of dog, what you feed. Multi-faced approach to improving the immune system - has to start with what goes in, how the body metabolizes it and so forth

But for starters look into Bovine colostrum (40% immunoglobulin) - Proper Nutrition makes one as well as a combo product called Seavive - colostrum and seacure (seacure is a pre-digested fish protein) Proteins provide the amino acids that together form glutathione, which is the body's natural detoxifier - glutathione cannot be bought in supplement form - but NAC and glycine together. The colostrum is an immune modulator, works much the way the thymus gland does - regulates IgG IgA IgE

Herbals - Astragalus root, ashwagandha, and others

any blackening of skin - if so, could be thyroid, pre-cushings...lethargy? Hair loss? Lameness?

many things to consider - so what are the symptoms?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

not enough information -- is the dog fighting an auto-immune disorder?
then to add to information you would need to know how old is the dog , how is it fed , what vaccinations were given, which were recently given, what other treatments is it on - heartworm , flea etc.

post a picture -

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alright let see. As far as diet goes, he is getting a holistic dry dog food. It is a mixture of grain free, and then some with oats or rice in it. The last couple of weeks he has had mostly raw meals, chicken, chicken liver, hearts, gizzards and beef. I am planning to switch him to a total raw diet hopefully next month. At this point because of vet bills we have been unable to afford to order the raw
Last blood work was normal but will probably be doing more next month. Gastro is normal, no upset tummy, no potty issues or anything like that.
He only gets flea preventative if we notice that he needs it so maybe two or three times in the summer. He has not needed any this summer yet. He gets heartworm preventative every other month.
As far as meds. He is on dexamethasone for his hip problems, one tablet once a day. I cannot remember what the antibiotic is that he received, it was a very long name though I can get the name next time I am at the vets office. It is an injectable that lasts for about three weeks though. Before he was on cephylexin ( I know that is spelled wrong) for 6 weeks.
The only symptoms are sores on his lower lips and on his nose. They are red and weepy.
Both antibiotics have made an improvement somewhat. They do stop the weeping of the sores and for a small amount of time they change from red to a more pink color. However by the last week of treatment ( if it is a three week treatment than by the end of the second week any improvement starts to reverse) all the small improvements seem to go away and they start weeping again and get more inflamed. Our vet was pleased that at least there was some improvement with the antibiotics and said that was a good thing. But we are starting our fourth month of fighting this thing and I worry.
There is no blackening of the skin, no hair loss, sometimes he doesn't really want to go play like he used to but since his hips bother him sometimes it is hard to tell if it is just hips or something else bothering him.
He had lost weight at his last vet appointment. He is normally 86 pounds, but after his hip issues were diagnosed we slimmed him down a bit and the vet was happy with him at 82 pounds. We had him in the vet in April and he was still 82 and then in May he had gone down to 78 pounds. We adjusted his food and in three weeks he gained the lost weight and is now back to his 81-82 pounds.
Our plan is that after this last round of antibiotics is finished and if there is no improvement we are going to get some more testing/blood work ect, as much as we can afford. We don't want to just give him another, or more antibiotic.
I thought maybe if I could give a bit of a boost to his system it would help the antibiotic that he is on now get rid of this nasty bug
I hope that helps out a bit. I didn't mean to write a whole book
I will definantly find some colostrum!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I did list diet in my last post. As far as vaccinations go he has had yearly combination boosters until last year when we opted not to have the booster. He gets rabies every 3 years. So it has been over a year since his last vaccination.
He is six years old and apart from osteoarthritis in his hips and now these sores , he is healthy.
I will try to get a picture up.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

It would help to know the real name of the dog food. "Holistic" is just a buzz word for dog food companies.
Good for you going raw!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I would see a vet dermatologist.

If it's autoimmune, boosting the system is bad.

https://www.acvd.org/locator/locator.asp I found this to be a huge savings in the long run.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there are so many anti biotics -- you can strip the body too much anti biotic means anti life , that the system can't operate.

I would incorporate wide range , probiotics .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.