1st time owner, food suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st time owner, food suggestions?

I have just adopted a 2 year old German who is extremely malnourished and about 15 pounds underweight (64#), I am trying to figure out what is best to feed her, as I don't want to feed her filler food, not can I afford the $80 bag of 30lbs of holistic food. I have been reading about the raw diet and was thinking maybe once or twice a week some raw. Also does anyone give glucosamine even though there isn't any present issues? I am worried about her hips although the vet says they are fine, I plan to run and hike with her once she gains weight. What other supplements can I give her?

Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
CarlyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Raw is great as long as you know what your doing and get some good advice. I think Orijen is the best dog food made today and I also really like Horizon Legacy which is kinda hard to find. There are more but these are some pretty good ones. But no matter what you choose, try and add fresh unseasoned meat. I give fresh meat as treats to Tony.

Orijen, Acana, Horizon Legacy, Fromm, Merrick, Go Endurance, Precise Holistic, Wellness Core, Castor and Pollux Natural, Eathborn Holistic, Evo, Go Fit and Free, Instinct, Pinnacle Peak, Solid Gold, Canidea, Darford Zero/G, Now Grain Free.

Pulsar, Blue Wilderness, Artemis, First Mate. Natures Logic, Nutrisourse, Exclusive, Pure Vita, Wellness, Earthborn, Annamaet, Organix, Whole Earth Farms, Premium Edge, By Nature grain free, TOTW.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you located? See if you can get Victor nearby, they have grain inclusive and grain free foods and is very reasonable on price. Victor Super Premium Dog Food

If I had to agree with anything from 3Toes list, I'd say look for Fromm (Gold and Classic lines), Whole Earth Farms, First Mate (Classic line) or Annamaet. (Original line) They're good foods that aren't going to break the bank. A lot of people like Diamond Naturals, 4Health and Kirkland Signature and they're very reasonable in price as well but they're Diamond products so you'll have some people who are iffy about it and others who've never had a problem and are happy with it.

Some raw each day or a couple times a week would be a great addition to any kibble! Beef, turkey, lamb, chicken, pork, fish, venison, ect. You could get some ground foods and give a meatball sized chunk or two each day/couple times a week. Or cut up some chunks of whole meats into a couple ounces to offer. Raw eggs are good additions. Canned salmon, mackeral and sardines packed in water are a favorite among dogs and good for offering omega-3's into the dogs diet which help keep the skin, coat and body in general healthy. Raw meaty bones would be good for added nutrition and keeping the teeth clean. You can also look into Satin Balls while putting weight on her which are based around raw beef with some other ingredients. They're made specifically for weight gain and will do it pretty darn fast so be mindful of feeding them. Here are links to two different ones, though they're roughly the same thing...

Holistic Dog - Satinballs Satin Balls
Satin Balls Original Recipe. Includes Substitutions for key ingredients for when you do not have everything you need. Heartland Great Dane Rescue, Inc.

Either one you can add or remove the egg shells. The first calls for just the yolk but I'd add the white AND yolk personally.

For joint health, try making a bone broth. My pups LOVE it! It gives them extra fluids, it's packed full of nutrition and also has natural "joint supplements" already in it!

Homemade Bone Broth or Stock: Tutorial | Wellness Mama

I'll just link that one tutorial, you can Google 'Bone Broth' for more information than one could ever want/need about it. Lol! You don't have to add the veggies either, you can JUST cook the bones if you want to. I drink it too so sometimes I add dog safe veggies, sometimes I don't. I also use the bones plain, I don't pull them from roasted animals and things though some people do cook the bones some in the oven before boiling them. I don't, I just toss them in raw.

Otherwise you can get joint supplements from the store, which yes many people like to give even if the dog doesn't seem to have a problem. I'd also recommend some fish oil each day, again for added omega 3's which most diets (Canine and human alike!) lack. It can help with the joints too aside from all it's other health benefits.

If you're actually interested in feeding raw full time, we've got a great board on here dedicated to raw who could help you out. Besides the health bonuses, it can also come out cheaper to feed than kibble!
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

My dogs love Taste of the Wild High Prairie. I add a bit of cooked chicken (I buy cheap leg quarter cuts and cook them with water in a slow cooker, which makes lots of rich broth).
Ada, female GSD mix, RIP
Fafhrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to HEINOLFGSD

Definitely see if you can get Victor dog food in your area.
It's a really good, quality dog food. I feed the select professional (in the purple bag) to my dogs. No complaints whatsoever. The prices for this food are also very reasonable.
Sadie (b. 02-08-10)
Jerry Lee (b. 05-08-10)
Emila (b. 04-12-11)
Kodey (b. 04-03-12)
Thompson (b. 11-21-12)
Phee (b. 04-29-13)
HEINOLFGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I to feed taste of the wild. My boy gets 2 1/2 cup per meal. He gets fed twice a day. In his morning meal he gets a spoonful of yogurt and his 2 1/2 cups and in his evening meal he gets a spoonful of cottage cheese 4% and his 2 1/2 cups. Plus every other day he gets a whole raw egg including the shell.

I have heard satin balls are a good thing to pack the pound on really underweight dogs
Satin Ball recipes for underweight dogs. - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist and Dog Trainer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog!

Here is another link
How to get your underweight dog to gain weight in a healthy way! - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist and Dog Trainer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog!

There is a bunch of good information on that site including raw diet information, recipes for healthy dog treats, supplements, healthy dog chews... etc. Tons of good information read it all

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

We get Victor online at rocketpets and victorpet.com. rocket has the grain-free. Victorpet.com has the entire line. good luck.
3weims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

For kibble I'm using Dr Tim's right now. I'm using the Kinesis grain inclusive for the pup and will soon be adding the grain free for the older dog. You might want to use the Pursuit line for a dog that needs to add weight. You can email Dr Tim and ask which one would be best.
Adding raw/fresh food would help, too.
I top kibble with a grain free wet food, give raw meaty bones every week, and once a week they get each get an egg. They do get some other meet during the week.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

My dog loves Canidae ALS and I like it as well.
demofficer1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

first of all 64 pounds might not be under weight for a female GS, mine weighs slightly less than that and is 24" tall, The breed is long in body so often looks thin but that is the healthiest for them. Gemma is very active eats well and has never had a sick day. She si mostly 60-62 lbs. She is a proper size. Have some knowledgeable Gs owners look at her or better yet post a few pics here. Take side and over head shots for best answers
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.