Not eating (Natures Variety Instinct) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Not eating (Natures Variety Instinct)

So as some of you guys know, I recently switched Wolfy from a raw food diet to Natures Variety Instinct. The transition went smooth, he liked it, there were no stomach issues or anything. Lately he's not eating it. He's running around like a nut, playing, being himself, he's not sick, he went for his regular check up with the vet on Friday and everything went great. If I give him anything else he will eat it. The Natures Variety has been sitting in his bowl for 4 days. Do I have a picky eater? Should I try a different type of food?
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm going the other way, switching from NV turkey & duck lid, which they like and slowly changing to raw. If he has been eating the NV ok, maybe try one of their other products and see how that goes. He might be use to the variety in his raw diet and tire of just one thing, IDK
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

yea the raw food diet was great, but he kept getting bones stuck so i HAD to switch :-\
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissG View Post
yea the raw food diet was great, but he kept getting bones stuck so i HAD to switch :-\
That's scary, I've just been suplimenting so far and no bones yet. I've read somewhere that kibble fed dogs don't have enough acid or something along those lines. Two of my gsds have been on the NV for a while now and have been doing great, one of them is an allergy dog and she's why we are trying raw to see if it helps.

Also we occasionally add a little canned to help curb the boredom, not much, about a quarter of a can mixed in for each dog.

Last edited by Nigel; 02-10-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't know what's up with NV. A local feed store that carried their brands has stopped. The store owner told me that his suppliers both dropped the brand and will no longer sell it. Curious why?
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

marnie-hmmm that IS interesting...i'm curious why...any chance you can ask and try to find out??

nigel-yea he did great but started to gulp and was gettng them stuck. i didn't want to risk it :-\ also his teeth wore down ALOT and he's not even 2 yet.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

BUT my dog would only eat harder bones like beef. he REFUSED to do any chicken whatsoever. the chicken bones are MUCH easier for dogs to eat
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

i cut up some cheese in tiny pieces and mixed it up with the kibble. wolfy went crazy for it!! so thats good, i'll just add some different stuff to his food
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have you tried NV raw? It can be $$$, but my dog has never turned it away, she loves it.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm a big fan, or I guess I should say Jasmine is a big fan, or the Nature's Variety Instinct canned foods. I only give her a couple spoonfuls with each meal, and mix it into her kibble, but she loves it. A can lasts about three days or so, and I rotate through the six or so flavors, so it keeps her meals fresh enough that she doesn't loose interest in what she is eating. Occaissionally I'll give her a raw egg on top of her food as well.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.