German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Hey jocoyn (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/220194-hey-jocoyn.html)

3ToesTonyismydog 02-09-2013 11:01 PM

Hey jocoyn

I am not dishing on you or anything like that. I know you don't like canola oil and I always thought it was a man made oil until I finally got off my duff and did a little research. How come you don't like it, since it is made from a plant seed. I realize this site is a push on the product overall, but I don't understand why you dislike it so much.

CanolaInfo | What is Canola Oil?

Canola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

msvette2u 02-09-2013 11:16 PM

It's horrible stuff and I would not use it - I'm not jocoyn though ;)

We had some, it goes rancid very quickly and the smell/taste is horrible when it does. It's barely tolerable when it's still good :sick:

We got rid of it and use only olive oil now, or coconut oil.

It appears also that it's a GMO.
http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com....la-oil-healthy

Jax08 02-10-2013 12:07 AM

IMO, canola oil is high in O6. Our animals, and us too, do not need more O6 in our diets. From what I've read, canola oil used to be processed from the rapeseed plant, which is toxic. Now, it is extracted from a hybrid of the rapeseed plant (the canola plant) that is not toxic. The canola plant is not a plant normally found in nature. It is a hybrid.

jocoyn 02-10-2013 06:15 AM

Bingo on the answers.

sparra 02-10-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ToesTonyismydog (Post 2931210)
I know you don't like canola oil and I always thought it was a man made oil

LOL!!!! We grow about 2000 acres of the stuff every year over here in Australia on our farm.....it brings a very good return for us. If you ever get the chance to see it in full flower take it......it is one of the most beautiful sights. As for if it is bad for you.....we don't grow GM so it is not all GM.
There are many crops grown for food which are not found in nature.....they have all been messed with at some point to create new varieties etc suitable for different climates/extremes etc.:)

jocoyn 02-10-2013 07:15 AM

It is true that the original Canola was a man-made hybrid (not GMO just selecive breeding) to reduce the erucic acid. But over here over 90% of canola is the GMO form and, like corn, it infects the non GMO varieties.

There are protests going on in Mexico concerning the invastion of GMO corn and I am grateful for those with the foresight to put long term varieties of crop seeds in long term storage:
The Gaia Reports: Monsanto Profits Hit A New High - While Mexican & South American Farmers Protest Against The Invasion of GMOs

So, part of it is philosophical/political

Part of it is the inability to verify that the Canola in the dog (or human) food has NOT been sprayed with roundup (without studies, I am not going to accept the claim it does not get into the oil or does not cause health concerns.......there are precious little scientific studies to prove it is safe)

How good is it really? Here are some blips. Before you laugh this off, I still have to recall my Lipid biochemistry professor and undergradate research advisor (My degree in biochemistry in the 70s) Jumping up and down about trans fats as being terribly unhealthy ...... he was considered a bit of a lunatic in the 70s. Guess what. He was right. So I don't discount the small non-industry led scientists who are NOT looking at this from a profit motive raising questions one bit!

Canola Oil Health Risks | LIVESTRONG.COM

Some interesting pro and con discussions on the comments
How Healthy Is Canola Oil Really? | Eating Well

sparra 02-10-2013 07:31 AM

GM canola is only really just making its way into paddocks over here. Some are growing it but marketing it can be very difficult.
We refuse to grow it....never will.... but as long as there is a strong market for non GM canola we will have our fields of yellow.:)

jocoyn 02-10-2013 07:44 AM

I am certain there will continue to be a market for cold-pressed non GM canola oils.

The other comment I did not make had to do with the standard extraction process for the oil as opposed to more natural cold pressing techniques.

The big issue as I understand is if your neighbor plants the GM variety you may have some cross pollination whether or not you like it.

That is the issue with corn! LOL Monstanto even had the gall to sue farmers who "benefited" from having their crops "infected" with GMO pollen.
Organic farmers appeal Monsanto court ruling

EDIT - The FDA just approved GMO Salmon which grows 5 times faster than conventional salmon. Now the claim is that the fish are sterile and cannot repoduce themselves but there is some skepticism in that regard. . http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...nmentally-safe

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 02-10-2013 08:05 AM

I just saw this. I was told by drs. to switch to this ,canola instead of vegetable oil. In cooking I use olive oil ,dont fry much but if I saute its olive oil. I bake w/ canola though. Msvette's post about going rancid quicker is true. I remember some going rancid.Wow Ive never heard anything negative about canola before. The dogs get olive oil or fish oil.

jocoyn 02-10-2013 08:22 AM

Here is a nice chart - have to watch out for frying in EVOO

Canola is definitely controversial but if it goes rancid so fast how does it do in a bag of dog food that may sit for a long time and be subjected to high temperatures during transport in unrefrigerated trucks.

Choosing the right cooking oil | PCC Natural Markets