German Shepherds Forum banner

Grain free and Diaherra

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Daisy&Lucky's Mom 
#1 ·
When we brought the girls home we were told they were on Blue Buffalo Grain freee Chickenfor SRs ( Wilderness). We bought a bag however within the first full day of feeding them we had expolsive diaherra. We fasted them for about 18 hrs and then fed white rice and chicken and supplemented it w/ yogurt.Stopped pretty quickly so we thought it was the move, the stress etc. However w/ in 1 day of feeding their kibble they had it again. We fasted and did chicken/rice. We decided to feed them what Lucky eats Chicken and rice BB. No more issues and its been 5 days.
Anyone hear of grain free causing diaherra?

#3 ·
I've never had a problem with grain free although Blue (which I consider a wonderful food) has in general lead my dogs to have soft stools. And yes, moving caused a lot of tummy problems in my two throughout our drive from Las Vegas to Chicago and probably about 2 weeks after moving in the house. Did you talk to their original owner and see if they had diarrhea before the move on the Blue Grain Free?

#4 ·
According to both the rescue and the folks who had them they were on Blue Wilderness Chicken Grain free. We havent had a problem since we stopped feeding them it . they seem to eat well no issues w/ diaherra since monday when we switched.

#6 ·
My pup regularly has soft stool and occasionally diarrhea and I have him on BB Wilderness (grain free). I've been feeding him less lately and it seems to help, but if it continues I might consider switching.
How old is your pup? mine are seniors 10yrs old . I figured grain free ,no allergies right? Since we stopped feeding the grain free Thunder isnt shaking her ears so I may have had that wrong.I just thought about that.

#8 ·
Frank had the same problem on Earthborn grain free, I noticed after I fasted him as long as I added rice to the grain free he was fine, no rice and within 48hours we had explosive diarrhea. I switched him to Holistic select duck formula which contains brown rice, no more problems and his stools are the best they've ever been.

#9 ·
OKay guys thank you I thought maybe they had a virus but their diaherra stopped whenever I stopped the grain free. Sounds like otherr people have had this so Im not crazy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.