Alternative to Fromm? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alternative to Fromm?

I've been feeding Rainer Fromm Surf N' Turf. While he absolutely loves his food, he has been occasionally having bouts with slimy, explosive diarrhea - twice so far in the past 4-ish months. The vet suggested that he may have a slight case of IBD and maybe try to change his food. I have tried feeding him Orijen and Acana in the past, both with horrible results. I do not think he is able to handle the higher protein.

He is currently eating 3 cups a day of the Fromm (suggested for his weight is 4 - 4 3/4). I've put the analysis/ingredients of the particular formula he eats below. Anyone have any suggestions on an alternative (other than RAW - no offense to RAW. I would love to be able to have him on a complete RAW diet, unfortunately we do not have the freezer space.)

================================================== =======================================
Guaranteed Analysis Protein30% Min Fat19% Min Fiber3.5% Max Moisture10% Max Omega 3 Fatty Acids0.6% Min Omega 6 Fatty Acids2.8% Min Total Microorganisms220,264 CFU/g Min

Calorie Content
kcal/kg4,092 kcal/lb1,860 kcal/cup*409

Ingredients
: Pacific Wild Salmon, Duck Meal, Russet Potatoes, Pea Flour, Sweet Potatoes, Duck, Chicken Fat, Dried Tomato Pomace, Salmon Meal, Whole Dried Egg, Pea Protein, Chicken, Flaxseed, Wisconsin Cheese, Salmon Oil, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Taurine, Parsley, Vitamins (vitamin A acetate, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, choline bitartrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin), Minerals (zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, copper sulfate, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sorbic acid (preservative), ferrous proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, magnesium proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate), Probiotics (dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product)

** Grain-Free Surf & Turf dog food - Fromm Family Foods
================================================== ========================================

As a side note: He does get Grizzly Salmon Oil with his breakfast, he is 87ish lbs, almost 14 months old, tried coconut oil for a little while but was worried it was contributing to his diarrhea (did start slow adding about a tsp a week), used to receive Nupro joint supplement as a preventative measure but have also held off on that as well to see how his tummy does.

Sorry for such a long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug

Last edited by Rainer; 02-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have been very pleased with the Nature's Logic (which I buy mail order) Beau did fine on the Fromm puppy (though the stools were never firm but they were formed) but Grim could not handle Flax (which is also in Nupro) and after Grim was on NL for 6 months with great blood panels afterwards, I moved Beau over and am very pleased.

Edit-neither one of my dogs did too well with Origen. Grim threw it up (and he was used to protein levels in TOTW) and it gave Beau the runs.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am looking for a new food for my dogs so i am really interested in this thread. Ranger was on Iams (yuck) and Buzz is on Canidae. I tried Canidae for Ranger but it did not agree with him. Blue Buffalo was okay but while looking at one of the mail order sites (chewy.com) i found TOTW for $46 for 30 lbs. that seemed like a good price for a good food so i might give that a try. Seems like it might be an alternative to Fromm.

Robin
Rangers-mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you thought about going with the Fromm Gold? Its not grain free but that might be the problem to begin with.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I mix fromm salmon tunalini with fromm large breed with no problems. Maybe add olewo carrots for dinner.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I have been very pleased with the Nature's Logic (which I buy mail order) Beau did fine on the Fromm puppy (though the stools were never firm but they were formed) but Grim could not handle Flax (which is also in Nupro) and after Grim was on NL for 6 months with great blood panels afterwards, I moved Beau over and am very pleased.

Edit-neither one of my dogs did too well with Origen. Grim threw it up (and he was used to protein levels in TOTW) and it gave Beau the runs.
I looked at their website and the food looks interesting, but I'm concerned about the calcium levels. From what I've seen, it is good to keep young dogs on a lower calcium food until they mature? I see their formulas are a little over 2% Ca. Also concerned about the protein levels..Rai is used to 30% and these formulas have around 38%. Worried that may give him the runs... Maybe I'll try to pick up a small bag somewhere and give it a go though, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers-mom View Post
I am looking for a new food for my dogs so i am really interested in this thread. Ranger was on Iams (yuck) and Buzz is on Canidae. I tried Canidae for Ranger but it did not agree with him. Blue Buffalo was okay but while looking at one of the mail order sites (chewy.com) i found TOTW for $46 for 30 lbs. that seemed like a good price for a good food so i might give that a try. Seems like it might be an alternative to Fromm.

Robin
I want to stay away from TOTW due to their recalls.... The thing I liked most about Fromm is that they are a small family company with no past recalls. Makes me feel safer feeding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Have you thought about going with the Fromm Gold? Its not grain free but that might be the problem to begin with.
I have actually considered it! If nothing else, I can always find a small bag and feed him the Fromm Gold and see how he does. We did try Cannidae, non-grain free kind, when he was much younger (10-15 weeks) and it made him super itchy. Worth a shot to try again.

Thank you all for your replies

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I looked at their website and the food looks interesting, but I'm concerned about the calcium levels. From what I've seen, it is good to keep young dogs on a lower calcium food until they mature? I see their formulas are a little over 2% Ca. Also concerned about the protein levels..Rai is used to 30% and these formulas have around 38%. Worried that may give him the runs... Maybe I'll try to pick up a small bag somewhere and give it a go though, Thanks!

I want to stay away from TOTW due to their recalls.... The thing I liked most about Fromm is that they are a small family company with no past recalls. Makes me feel safer feeding it.

I have actually considered it! If nothing else, I can always find a small bag and feed him the Fromm Gold and see how he does. We did try Cannidae, non-grain free kind, when he was much younger (10-15 weeks) and it made him super itchy. Worth a shot to try again.

Thank you all for your replies
I actually did not switch from Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold until he quit growing in stature -- I think around 15 months because of the calcium concern. The owner of NL argues that it is all about the source of calcium and how it is absorbed (raw feeding argument as well) but I did not take that gamble either.

I also think Fromm is a great company and never had an issue with a single bag of food! May want to start lining up formulas of what did and did not work to find commonalities. I liked TOTW as well but migrated due to both the diamond recalls, a Baaaaad bag they said was ok (it was rank!), and the canola oil which is almost guaranteed to be GMO and some concerns about the degreadation products of canola.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wanted to feed Fromm because I like the company. I switched all my dogs to Fromm Gold and unfortunately they all got itchy, Pan got some sort of staph infection, and everyone's stools were huge and the most horrid, smelly ones ever. I gave up and switched back to California Natural. I use the Lamb and Rice "limited ingredient" diet which is also and all life stages food (OK for puppies). I had been feeding that for years before I switched to Fromm and now they are back on it. Kinda bummed the Fromm didn't work out.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I wanted to feed Fromm because I like the company. I switched all my dogs to Fromm Gold and unfortunately they all got itchy, Pan got some sort of staph infection, and everyone's stools were huge and the most horrid, smelly ones ever. I gave up and switched back to California Natural. I use the Lamb and Rice "limited ingredient" diet which is also and all life stages food (OK for puppies). I had been feeding that for years before I switched to Fromm and now they are back on it. Kinda bummed the Fromm didn't work out.
Every time I look at California naturals ingredients they just don't impress me at all

Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd414 View Post
Every time I look at California naturals ingredients they just don't impress me at all

Wasn't done lol...

I hear good things about the good but I'm always iffy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.