Alternative to Fromm? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like that it's an LID, so there is one carb and one protein. My non-GSD (rescue mutt) is sensitive to certain things (I believe the flax seed in Fromm, and he doesn't do well on poultry based kibble even though he does fine on raw chicken) so I prefer kibbles that don't have an ingredient list a mile long. It's not a grain free product, though they do offer a line of that, but my dogs have done well on it for years and every time I've tried something else I haven't had the same results. We've also tried Wyson, Earthborne, and TOTW.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

A couple of other options that haven't been mentioned are Annamaet, and Dr. Tim's. Both are very good foods made by an excellent manufacturer. They are both lower protein as well, and offer both grain-free and grain inclusive formulas.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

You might look at Natural Balance Fish & Sweet Potato. It's lower protein and less rich. I don't think it's as good a food as Fromm, but I had one GSD girl who tolerated it and nothing else. I can't say why, but it was what worked for her. They're all different.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Okay, so...I have been looking through everything, and now I'm more confused than ever! So many good options. Lol. I also miscalculated Rai's age. He will actually be 15 months on the 21st.

I am kind of leaning towards the Lamb formula of Nature's Logic. It has no chicken/flax, and is the lowest protein formula they offer (32% I believe). Jocyn, you mentioned you buy yours online. Since all the good pet food stores closest to me have closed, I would really appreciate if you may please share where you buy your bags from? I was thinking of buying a 4.4lb just to see if Rainer will even like it before I commit to a bigger bag.

A friend of mine feeds her GSD California Natural, and I have tried the Kangaroo and Red Lentil formula with Rainer before. At 21% protein per each bag, though, wouldn't I have to feed him more cups per day just to maintain his weight?

My other options are Fromm Gold and Natural Balance. It's frustrating because he does so well with the Fromm, poops are small and well-formed (most of the time), but he has these bouts with the horrible diarrhea which make him miserable. Poor puppy.

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
My other options are Fromm Gold and Natural Balance. It's frustrating because he does so well with the Fromm, poops are small and well-formed (most of the time), but he has these bouts with the horrible diarrhea which make him miserable. Poor puppy.
Have you thought about adding yogurt, cottage cheese, or pumpkin? My golden is like this, but I'm starting to wonder if its the food(because it has happened on different foods) or if he is getting into something and eating it. I'm leaning toward him getting into something, but I can't figure out what. One time when he was younger he ate my son's YMCA card That came out in pieces in his watery poop.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

chewy.com

NL recommends soaking the food before feeding. A lot of interesting articles on the NL site. The president of the company will reply to emails directly as well.

Keep a list of what does and does not work and start looking for common ingredients. I honestly believe each dog is different.

I did have a dog do quite well on Natural Balance (which I went to when bloodwork was "off" with Evo)....I moved my working dog off of it to TOTW because he was having a hard time keeping weight on and did have higher endurance and heat tolerance on higher protein and fat foods. I won't feed TOTW now because of how Diamond managed my issue with a bag of rank smelling bison food "its fine" just before the last recall.

I think 21% is probably adequate for a non working dog.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Have you thought about adding yogurt, cottage cheese, or pumpkin? My golden is like this, but I'm starting to wonder if its the food(because it has happened on different foods) or if he is getting into something and eating it. I'm leaning toward him getting into something, but I can't figure out what. One time when he was younger he ate my son's YMCA card That came out in pieces in his watery poop.
I used to add cottage cheese to his food regularly, but stopped when he had his first bout of diarrhea. The vet did recommend that I start adding enzymes and probiotics to his food and see if that may possibly help. Will look into that next

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
chewy.com

NL recommends soaking the food before feeding. A lot of interesting articles on the NL site. The president of the company will reply to emails directly as well.

Keep a list of what does and does not work and start looking for common ingredients. I honestly believe each dog is different.

I did have a dog do quite well on Natural Balance (which I went to when bloodwork was "off" with Evo)....I moved my working dog off of it to TOTW because he was having a hard time keeping weight on and did have higher endurance and heat tolerance on higher protein and fat foods. I won't feed TOTW now because of how Diamond managed my issue with a bag of rank smelling bison food "its fine" just before the last recall.

I think 21% is probably adequate for a non working dog.
He is not a full blown Schutzhund dog, but we do do protection training, obedience training, as well as many walks throughout the week at up to 4-6 miles per walk. We have dabbled in Agility and recently went to Herding a couple weekends ago...nothing consistent since everything is too far away and gas is ridiculous lately (I'm unemployed right now).

I agree with you about TOTW. I'll try NL and will try California Natural afterwards if that doesn't agree with him. Thanks!

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

NL does have digestive enzymes already added. I quit adding them when I realized that.. but I figure added amylases cannot hurt any food with carbohydrates.

None of their diets are LID if you wind up with an allergy problem. That one may not have chicken but it does have egg product in it. Actually the lamb has products from lamb, eggs, cattle, and pigs.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I switched from the Fromm's LBP to Acana lamb & apple. This particular formula is only 25% protein. Which Acana did your puppy have poor results with?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

I switched mine to Halo. Can't say enough good about it. They look great, stools are good... it's a little pricey, but worth it to me seeing what it's doing for these kids!
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.