4 Health Grain free - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 Health Grain free

Anybody get the email about this. Tractor Supply has 3 new grain free foods.

4health Grain Free Whitefish & Potato Formula for Adult Dogs, 30 lb. Bag - 1046159 | Tractor Supply Company

If any of you Grain free food gurus get a chance I would love to hear some feedback on the quality of this food.
A_selders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not an expert but it looks pretty good. They sell diamond also I wonder the price difference

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Kaleb f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Diamond natural 40 lb bag is $36 this 4 health is $37 dollars for 30 lb

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Kaleb f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got that email from TSC as well. I just don't like the fact that it's made by Diamond, because of that I personally wouldn't feed it.
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just because of the frequent Diamond recalls, they scare me. I had a cat die several years ago from diamond food, back when they did the massive recalls.
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Well, the second ingredient is an unnamed "fish" meal, the the third and fourth ingredients are both peas. There is only one named meat ingredient that I see. It is quite low in caloric content which means your are going to be feeding quite a bit of food to meet the average GSD's daily caloric needs. All in all, it looks like a pretty poor food to me.
Ken Clean-Air System is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you Ken that is what I was looking for. I am trying to learn about the ingredients in a food and not just feed a "grain free" food because it's grain free.
A_selders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Looking at the ingredient list I must say that the meat content in this grain free food is most likely less than 30%. The rest is all peas and potatoes. I am not sure how would animal process Sunflower Oil...Also there is 0% of any fruit in this food. Low Glucosamine and Chondroitin levels, low Omega-3 level (but apparently this is fish based food?). Personally I would stay away from this food. I would only considered it I was not able to afford better type food (little more expensive).

Personally I would rate this type of food with max 3 starts out of 5.
IMHO this food needs more meet content to be considered good.
vukc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

These ingredients make up the "majority" of whats in this food. 2 types of peas back to back say this product contains peas as the largest ingredient. Is that bad, not really, but I am not a fan of any vegetable protein. It is a pretty clean dog food. Finding out who supplies their fish meal would be nice. I would send an email to them asking about ethoxyquin . A lot of fish meal contains this and it is faily toxic stuff.

Whitefish, Fish Meal, Pea Protein, Dried Peas, Tapioca, Whole Potato, Sunflower Oil

What is Pea Protein?

Fish Meal
AAFCO: The clean, rendered, dried ground tissue of undecomposed whole fish or fish cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil.
Like with all other animal sources, if a type isn't specified, you never know what type or quality of fish is used.
According to US Coast Guard regulations, all fish meal not destined for human consumption must be conserved with Ethoxyquin (unless the manufacturer has a special permit). This preservative is banned from use in foods for human consumption except for the use of very small quantities as a color preservative for spices. So unless the manufacturer either presents a permit or states "human grade" fish or fish meal is used, you can be pretty sure Ethoxyquin is present in the food even if it is not listed.

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukc View Post
I am not sure how would animal process Sunflower Oil.
What does this mean? I am an animal and I process sunflower oil quite well. Sunflower oil is mostly oleic and linoleic acid, the same fats found in chicken. They are unsaturated fatty acids and are quite healthy.

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Pokey - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone
Zoey - may you catch the UPS man
Auggie -may you find the peace you never had
Zookeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.